C-Max Gone; Ford replacement in the 219 Lineup?

Telerisk

I own a 2016 Ford C-Max....Ford blew it big time in my opinion...they failed to advertise, most people had no idea what a C-Max was....

Now that it is gone, is Ford going to have a replacement in its 2019 small SUV Footprint with the C-max Elec\Gas power train (Not Plug-In).....I had heard the Ford Escape which I believe is the next step up in size from the C-Max....might be in the 2019 Line up with an Elec\Gas Hybryd (Not Plug-in)

Anyone know, can point at a dependable Article?

Edited by Telerisk

Darn; I was hoping for a 2019 release...again, I believe it will be the Escape????  so I could trade my 2016 C-max in for the same type of Vehicle (Sm SUV) with the same Powertrain as the C-Max (Has\Elec; Not Plug-in) because even though the Hybryd battery has a full 100% no depreciation or Deductible replacement for 8 yrs....the Battery in my 2016 "Lives" mostly in the bottom of its range per the symbol....and it bothers me.  It will charge with Gas Engine\braking to about 90% full, it will quickly discharge to the bottom running on Elec Power.  The dealer check was to I guess, check battery at idle....but not under load which is where the Charge drops.  I can maintain @42MPG so thats not bad....but sometimes I fine myself driving to Charge the Battery than MPG.....  When I get w/i 1/4 mile of my Home...rather than Park it at the lowest charge....I will drive around the block forcing the Gas Engine to come on and I can get the charge up to 65% (the vehicle has Navigation so w/i a predetermined distance from your Home EV+ comes on which tries to keep vehicle running on elec).  Even though the Hybryd has been around for what 6 or 7 years...due to at least in my area where VERY few C-Max's were sold, the dealers Techs seem to be poorly trained on the Hybryds Elec system as to troubleshooting..... 

... the Battery in my 2016 "Lives" mostly in the bottom of its range per the symbol....and it bothers me. ...

It shouldn't. 

You kill a Li-ion battery by charging it too high and storing it hot. The control system automatically limits you to ~30-70% operating range, and that's what's shown - HVB indicator at zero is 30% charged, full is 70% charged. You can't hurt this HVB very easily. 

And if you want to get your battery full... move to a cold place (long warm-up runs), drive down a long hill, or back off the throttle enough to keep the "^" or "charging" carat visible. That will mean slower starts and longer acceleration which allows the HVB to charge up. Then you may get into "negative split" mode, where the engine's running slowly, so you're getting 60 MPG. 

Have fun,

Frank

Frank... I understand, my concern is driving as you described, I can get the HVB to that 70% (top) but from there if I am in an area where I can drive mainly on EV....ie flat roads (I am in Florida); very little Braking....that 70% charge will quickly discharge to the 30%....about 1 to 1.5 miles of driving on EV......  This is what I mean when I wrote, my  HVB Charge "Lives" mostly at the bottom of the HVB Dash Symbol.  My feeling is the HVB Battery will Charge to 70% if I drive the vehicle Braking, off acceleration....Gas engine running.....so it does charge fully (I guess) but the HVB in my thinking discharges much too fast based on distance Traveling on EV.  Its liken to a battery at idle, it can show it is fine....but once a load is placed on it...its State of Charge is poor and its power runs down quickly.  Further, this is how its been since July, prior to this....I would say where I drive hasn't changed very much, prior to July the HVB Symbol was in the Mid to upper range...so to me, this is the basis for my concern.  

... that 70% charge will quickly discharge to the 30%....about 1 to 1.5 miles of driving on EV ...

Let's make some estimates.

As I recall, the Energi is rated for ~20 mile range when its 7.5 kWh battery is fully charged. The Hybrid has 1.5 kWh HVB, 20% the size, so 20% the distance when used to full capacity - 4 miles.

Usable HVB range is about 30% to 70%, and those are reflected in the display; full battery display is 70% charged, so 70% battery display is more like 58% charge, just as 30% display is more like 42% charge. You're only using  (58% - 42% = ) 26% of the battery capacity moving from 70% to 40% displayed. 

You're seeing 1-1.5 miles of driving, and this estimate predicts 1.04 miles. I don't see any shortfall; get out and enjoy the car! 

Have fun,

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Frank... I understand, my concern is driving as you described, I can get the HVB to that 70% (top) but from there if I am in an area where I can drive mainly on EV....ie flat roads (I am in Florida); very little Braking....that 70% charge will quickly discharge to the 30%....about 1 to 1.5 miles of driving on EV......  This is what I mean when I wrote, my  HVB Charge "Lives" mostly at the bottom of the HVB Dash Symbol.  My feeling is the HVB Battery will Charge to 70% if I drive the vehicle Braking, off acceleration....Gas engine running.....so it does charge fully (I guess) but the HVB in my thinking discharges much too fast based on distance Traveling on EV.  Its liken to a battery at idle, it can show it is fine....but once a load is placed on it...its State of Charge is poor and its power runs down quickly.  Further, this is how its been since July, prior to this....I would say where I drive hasn't changed very much, prior to July the HVB Symbol was in the Mid to upper range...so to me, this is the basis for my concern.  

Don't worry at all. My 2015, when driven only on surface streets, never reaches full charge on the gauge. It's not meant to. The only time I see a full charge is when I go down a long hill. It's normal. Just drive and enjoy it.

I have not heard about the Escape hybrid coming back but I have heard that the Fusion is going away and coming back as a crossover or sport utility.  The Fusion had a hybrid option so I wonder if the hybrid option will happen in the new model?   I also hear that hybrids are kind of on the way out or being redesigned as the basic 48 volt version.   So maybe that will not happen. 

Full electric is the big thing now.   I still like the hybrid so I can take a trip and don't have to sit waiting for my car to charge.  I just watched a good show on a gearhead that bought a Tesla model 3.   He is here in Michigan and he talks about his experience with the recharging.  It was a good show.  Here is a link if anyone is interested