600+Mile CMax Club

Jus-A-CMax

Sorry mate...its now done! Well, you certainly are in the bad, bad, bad, bad books....so don't let Consumer Report get a hold of your CMax, it's not possible to have such high MPGs. What, you're making them out to be liars....or their testing done by kindergarden kids ;)

PS is this a ploy to stop just before SnowStorm on the Honor Roll....you guys got like 0.1 mile between the 2 of you.

lol, I wish I had the time to push it a little further, but my wife was at home with a panic attack, so being gingerly on the gas wasn't going to happen.  My next tank should be even better.  I am still aiming for that 700+ marker before winter arrives:)

600+ Milers - I've got a question for you ...

At my last fill up, I know I put 13.25 gallons of gas in the tank.  As of right now, my Trip 1 data says - 

559.3 miles

11.53 gallons of gas used

Doing the simple math - that should be 48.51 MPG for this tank

13.25 gallons put in the tank - 11.53 gallons used = 1.72 gallons left in the tank

1.72 gallons x 48.51 MPG = 83.44 miles to empty (calculated)

The "miles to empty" estimate on the display says ... 65 miles.

So here's the question ... how far past 0 miles left in the tank (on the display) have you guys pushed it?

attachicon.gifphoto.JPG I have had 4 actual tanks of 13.85 to 13.96gal and I don't think the smart gauge has been higher than 12.9gal. I only ran out once. Not a problem, it started right up when I put gas in it. I need to post my iphone pic of my latest record 668.1mi (678.1 actual) 425.4EV, 51.7mpg(50.5actual) and 12.9gal (13.5gal actual).

IMO so far the new update hasn't made much of a difference in HWY MPG's and I think I lose about 2mpg with A/C on.

PT, another take on this:  12.9 (gauge) plus 13.9 (Pump) = roughly 27.  Dividing by 2 = 13.5, the published volume.  Perhaps the most accurate measure of our gallons used (and therefor MPGs) is just that;  the average of gauge value plus pump value.  The reason I bring this up is to account for the discrepancy. I have had two tanks where this made a significant difference; and I don't seem to fully trust either one - at this time, at least.  Nick

I would love to trust the gauge, of course - always lower gallons used (& higher MPGs). :)

Edited by C-MaxSea

Just barely, but there it is!

post-1386-0-16590600-1379031002_thumb.jpg

I needed to fill up for a trip tomorrow, so I had to take what I could get.

BTW - the trip for tomorrow is up to Ford's Michigan Assembly Plant to drop off a box of fasteners that will tested for use on holding the exhaust systems on the C-max and Fusion hybrids (tests being conducted on the C-max will qualify the part for Fusions that are currently made in Mexico, and next year in Flat Rock MI).  I'll probably be out on the line watching parts being run on the C-max line for a little while tomorrow.

Edited by MI C-max

Just barely, but there it is!

attachicon.gifIMG_1391.JPG

I needed to fill up for a trip tomorrow, so I had to take what I could get.

BTW - the trip for tomorrow is up to Ford's Michigan Assembly Plant to drop off a box of fasteners that will tested for use on holding the exhaust systems on the C-max and Fusion hybrids (tests being conducted on the C-max will qualify the part for Fusions that are currently made in Mexico, and next year in Flat Rock MI).  I'll probably be out on the line watching parts being run on the C-max line for a little while tomorrow.

:congrats:  and welcome to the 600+ Mile CMax club!!!!! Next stop 650 :)

Working of 700mi tank I think I'm going to come up short 10 mi., I wished I had Top Offed, currently 680 mi. and 13gal on smart gauge. I do have 2gal can in back so I will probably run out before 700mi.

C'Mon ptjones...you can do it. You're the :worship:  1st to predict a 700...so this is your chance to make your own prediction come true :drool:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I'm in the same boat ptjones, I had a shot but got stuck in a storm driving home today and my normal 45-50 mpg trip home ended up at 36.6 mpg.  That burned way more gas than I could afford so I will likely end up 10 miles short too.  I've burned about 12.8 gallons and have 17 miles to go...  Oh well, there is always the next tank!

600+ Milers - I've got a question for you ...

So here's the question ... how far past 0 miles left in the tank (on the display) have you guys pushed it?

I have never pushed past 30 miles to empty.  Due to hills and traffic in my 90% city driving, I have never chosen to rely on any gauge in the car. Any steep hill, using a slow 1-bar burn because of the car in front of me could drop that  :airquote: smart gauge down 5-10 miles when I only travel 1-2 miles.  I rely most on the Trip 1 gal. used, then assume, that the gauge is about .5 to 1 gals off.  I throw the dice based on the actual gas meter.  Once the gas gauge stops bouncing back and forth between yellow and red (stabilizing in the red), I start watching my miles very closely.  Once my gas gauge flatlines, I start getting super cautious and consider every trip before making it.  Will there be a lot of uphill in my next trip?  Will I get a good chance of EV mode for the next trip?  How far are gas stations from my route, or destination?  All those factors help me decide how far to push it.  FWIW, I have never seen MINE read 0 miles.  I get such remarkably consistent mpg's for my daily driving that my smart gauges estimate my miles to empty fairly well near the end of the tank.

I am buying a 2 gal gas can to use on this tank.  I want to know what happens when MINE reaches 0, lol.

I have never pushed past 30 miles to empty.  Due to hills and traffic in my 90% city driving, I have never chosen to rely on any gauge in the car. Any steep hill, using a slow 1-bar burn because of the car in front of me could drop that  :airquote: smart gauge down 5-10 miles when I only travel 1-2 miles.  I rely most on the Trip 1 gal. used, then assume, that the gauge is about .5 to 1 gals off.  I throw the dice based on the actual gas meter.  Once the gas gauge stops bouncing back and forth between yellow and red (stabilizing in the red), I start watching my miles very closely.  Once my gas gauge flatlines, I start getting super cautious and consider every trip before making it.  Will there be a lot of uphill in my next trip?  Will I get a good chance of EV mode for the next trip?  How far are gas stations from my route, or destination?  All those factors help me decide how far to push it.  FWIW, I have never seen MINE read 0 miles.  I get such remarkably consistent mpg's for my daily driving that my smart gauges estimate my miles to empty fairly well near the end of the tank.

I am buying a 2 gal gas can to use on this tank.  I want to know what happens when MINE reaches 0, lol.

I'm 15mi past E and 13.22gal , 689.3mi. expect to run any time. I don't think you can run out going uphill because I think the pickup is in the back of tank. Will probably run out going into town 4mi.

Paul

post-143-0-53200800-1379116955_thumb.jpgpost-143-0-52329300-1379116880_thumb.jpg

Wahooooo! :kookie: 725.2 MPG!!!  Wife made me break the 700 mark and wanted me to go until the car ran out of gas and battery. I wussed out at 725.2 miles! Calculated actual mileage at 736.38 miles and at 13.6 gal 54.14mpg but decided to top off with another .4 gal (14 gal total) for 52.598mpg. This means I should have been running out of gas; I ran out of gas before and put 14 gal in. From this exercise I believe I could get 1,000 miles on a tank if my wife was co-piloting, which is amazing because she hates going slow with no air conditioning! :angry2:  BTW after I filled up she made me turn the air conditioning and speed back to the office - only got 38mpg. Oh well!

I would like to see a new challenge thread for the highest average speed and mpg for 500+ and 600+ miles. Anyone else interested? Whatcha think Jus-A-CMax? I'm getting close to 47 mpg at 65 mph and I think with some more aerodynamic aids might be able to get 47 mpg at 70 mph. We will see.

Well, don't I feel like the wuss!  I cashed in my chips and filled up this morning at 686.9 miles, 53.5 mpg and 12.83 gallons burned.  After driving home in the storm yesterday and nosediving from 54.0 to 53.5 mpg I didn't safe pushing it past 13 gallons when I've heard others running out of gas under that number.  Oh well, my miles to E said 723 miles right after I filled up so I hope to get to 700 miles on this next tank!  I'll be back in a month or so after I actually drive all those miles.

IMG 20130913 075902

Edit: For those that are interested I only pumped in 12.6 gallons this morning, so my smart gauge was a little high and I probably had plenty of gas to hit 700...
Edited by SnitGTS

post-1402-0-59140800-1379135232_thumb.jpg

First fill up tonight with 916.2 miles on the odometer.  Three weeks ago we left the dealership with 315 miles (using 315.9 for calculations) on the clock and a complimentary full tankAfter Ford's recommended two clicks on the pump handle, I had added 13.242 gallons, which gave us 45.34 miles per gallon and 600.3 miles from our first tank.  Our information screen displayed 45.9 mpg and we had to travel 18 or 19 miles beyond zero fuel remaining.  We wouldn't have done it without a full 3 gallons gas can in the back for peace of mind. 

Does anyone have any idea how accurate the odometer is in the C-max?  How many attempt to adjust for actual miles traveled vs. odometer?

Edited by bberg7794

I have never pushed past 30 miles to empty.  ... I have never seen MINE read 0 miles.  I get such remarkably consistent mpg's for my daily driving that my smart gauges estimate my miles to empty fairly well near the end of the tank.

Last Thursday (9/5) - I left Cleveland OH with the "smart" gauge saying I had "180 miles to E".  I pulled into the gas station nearest my neighborhood in Monroe MI (150 miles later) as the "smart" gauge flipped to "0 miles to E".   I know the gauges for the gas tanks don't read to "bone dry" for "0 miles to E", there's always a little reserve there to get you to a gas station once it does hit 0.  My 2010 Mercury Milan (that I traded in for the C-max) would consistently go 30 - 50 miles past "0 miles to E", and I never ran out of gas even pushing it 50 miles past 0.  I just don't know what the threshold is on the C-max yet.  In my mind the higher tech of the C-max makes me think the gauges should be more accurate than the Milan.  I guess I should put the gas can in back the next time I get low and want to push it.

attachicon.gifFirst Fill-up 916.2 miles.JPG

First fill up tonight with 916.2 miles on the odometer.  Three weeks ago we left the dealership with 315 miles (using 315.9 for calculations) on the clock and a complimentary full tankAfter Ford's recommended two clicks on the pump handle, I had added 13.242 gallons, which gave us 45.34 miles per gallon and 600.3 miles from our first tank.  Our information screen displayed 45.9 mpg and we had to travel 18 or 19 miles beyond zero fuel remaining.  We wouldn't have done it without a full 3 gallons gas can in the back for peace of mind. 

Does anyone have any idea how accurate the odometer is in the C-max?  How many attempt to adjust for actual miles traveled vs. odometer?

Wow, that's amazing, on the first tank!  Absolutely no learning curve for you driving the C-Max.  I've been all impressed with myself on target for my first 600 mile tank after 2000 miles, and you go and do it on tank #1.  Have you driven hybrids before?  Congratulations.

Thanks for the congratulations.  This is the first hybrid I have ever driven and the mileage achieved was both with myself and my wife driving at different times.  We are very surprised at the mileage we have achieved and that we were able to do this on our very first tank.  We hope to continue to be pleasantly surprised, but we are a bit apprehensive of our upcoming winter weather and the addition of snow tires.

I usually drive very conservatively, most recently trying to squeeze the mileage out of my diesel truck, but I do not consider myself a hyper miler (is that a word?).  I just like to try to keep the ratio of money saved vs. sent to big oil as much in my favor as possible.

Big Congratz to Ptjones, SnitGTS & bberg!   :rating: You guys are making it look easy (and I know it ain't - at least 700, that is).  Nick

PS  My favorite quote of the week:  "Wife made me break the 700 mark and wanted me to go until the car ran out of gas and battery."  What a mate, Pt! 

(Glad you exercised some caution there.)

Edited by C-MaxSea

Thanks C-MaxSea!  You are correct though, it is not easy.  That tank was 3 weeks worth of driving for me, (Aug. 24th - Sept 13th) and during that time there were 5 trips that hurt my average.  

- I got a haircut that is only a 4 mile round trip from my house but it is up and over a massive hill, I averaged 22 mpg for the trip which means I burned almost 0.25 gallons, way more than I burn on my daily trip to work that is 12.3 miles long.

- I drove to my friends house and my girlfriend insisted on the air conditioning.  I still got 50 mpg for the trip but it is a 75 mile round trip, so that is almost a tenth of my whole tank well at well below my average mpg.

- I drove home twice with the air conditioning on before I was thinking 700 mile tank, both days I averaged about 48 mpg for the round trip to and from work, another 50 miles on the tank well below my average mpg.

Even with the above, I still had a shot.  You need to average 53.83 mpg over 13 gallons to hit 700, I was at 54.0 mpg on Thursday after getting to work, but my hopes were dashed on my way home from work.

- Thursday night I drove home in a crazy storm, got hailed on, was stuck in ridiculous traffic, and drove through countless puddles, ended up at 36 mpg for the trip which dropped me from 54.0 mpg to 53.5 mpg after already driving 650 miles!  

An average day driving to and from work for me is between 54-56 mpg, I set a couple of personal bests the past couple weeks including a 58.6 mpg day.  In the end it didn't matter, those 5 trips over 3 weeks killed my chances at 700 miles.

As Jus is always saying, consistency is the hardest part...

Edited by SnitGTS

Congrats! Way to go on first fill-up! I used my Garmin GPS to determine how accurate my odometer was which resulted in 1.015% improvement in mileage. Every one that I have talked to that has done this comes up with a similar value. Hope this helps. I just keep a log as I'm not familiar with a way to adjust the odometer or trip settings.

I finally did it!

I finally got to 600+ miles on a tank (with 19 miles left to empty).

Driving was probably 75% city, 25% highway, regular fuel, E10.

One negative (and something for folks to be careful about): the C-Max displayed showed that I had used 12.3 gal, but the fill up took 13 gal at the pump, so I was closer to running out of gas than I thought while driving.

REC

post-36-0-74415300-1379256959_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-09015600-1379256965_thumb.jpg

I finally did it!

I finally got to 600+ miles on a tank (with 19 miles left to empty).

Driving was probably 75% city, 25% highway, regular fuel, E10.

One negative (and something for folks to be careful about): the C-Max displayed showed that I had used 12.3 gal, but the fill up took 13 gal at the pump, so I was closer to running out of gas than I thought while driving.

REC

That means your probably had another gal. to go or 45mi.

Paul

Congratz REC & Michigan Max !  :victory:  :victory:

REC, I have had two similar tanks where the fill-up was sign. greater than the gallons used gauge.  I question the accuracy of both, and have split the difference (say 12.7).  In your case; with 19 miles to empty, having used approx. 12.7, and the right bar gauge perhaps showing a snuff, I would guess you safely had 20-40+ miles to empty.  Just my best guess.

I agree MM, the check is a bonus for us , we are quite pleased with what we are getting :hi5: .   Looks like you also played it safe with plenty left in the tank.  Good move.

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

I just hit my first 600 mile tank yesterday. I was in traffic all week so I was hitting 60 MPG on the way down and still keeping over 45 MPG on the way back home. I put up the altitude display on my GPS and confirmed, it is about 700 foot of elevation difference from my home to where I have been working, and that much slope in 31 miles sure does show up in the mileage. I was well above the 600 mile target this whole tank, with the miles to E added to the trip Odo coming in around 650 miles any time I checked it. Too bad I got sent up here to San Fran yesterday. The drive over the Gorman Pass totally killed it. The traffic was light. Going up the hill, I was in the odd range where it is chargin, so I got to the top with a near full battery. What a waste. As I started down the other side, it did something I have never had happen before. I got over with the trucks, and slowed to just 61 mph, but it kept spinning the engine, no matter what I did. I even tried putting the shifter in Neutral, and the engine would not stop spinning. The battery gauge was solid topped out for a mile plus of down hill running, so I am sure there was no more regen available, but I did not expect this. 

I watched my miles to empty start to plummet and once I was back into High ICE it looked like I was going to still have 20 miles to spare. So I typed in my GPS looking for a gas station on my route between my 600 miles point and 620 miles when the gauge should hit 0 miles to E and there was a problem. There was gas in 50 miles, or 85 miles, nothing between. I thought about braving it to 85 miles, putting me 12 past E, but as we were cruising at 75 mph, my miles to E were still dropping faster than I was going, so I figured I would stop in 50 miles.

Sure enough, 2 miles to the ramp and it went 0 miles to E. I went up the ramp and at the top, I was at 596.6 miles. So I drove past the gas station for an extra 1.5 miles, and then turned back and pulled to the pump with 600.9 miles, 48.9 MPG (it was over 51 for much of this tank) and only showed 12.27 gallons burned. Assuming I could burn to 13 gallons, at 48 MPG, that would have been 624, not enough to have gotten me to the next fuel in the I5 north of Bakersfield.

I will post the Trip 1 screen pic tomorrow when I get back to Los Angeles.

The real bad part....  After I got gas and got back on the road, I just drove with the traffic the rest of the way up here, OUCH!!!  33 MPG going 70 - 75 mph, not updated to 13 B 07 yet, and a 400 foot elevation climb in 120 miles, and it only did as well as my 2004 Camry SE did, and I think I drove that harder on the hills. I sure wish there was a simple way to make it use more battery to help climb hills when you know you will have the decent coming soon. If I do not have the traffic around me, I found I can push it to 2.5 bar burn and use battery, then when I hit 5 mph over the limit, ease off and even let it go into EV mode to use up more battery, but it does slow quite a bit on the hills this way, so you need to keep switching between 2.5 bar accel and slowing while in EV. Anyone near you will be MAD if you try this in traffic. Staying with traffic, the hill climbs coning up here all resulted in 2 bar burn and charging the battery on the way up.