600+Mile CMax Club

Jus-A-CMax

Ok just to let everyone know I'm working hard to close in on that elusive 600+ tank.  But I feel my present tank is my best opportunity so far if it is going to happen.  This mornings commute around Cupertino saw still another benchmark AvMPG.  I scored a 44.7 on city surface streets while driving 30mph average.  I'm closing in on 300 miles for the first half of the tank and that has never happened before for my CMax.  That puts me in good position for a 600 tank but experience tells me that the second half won't be as good as the first half.  But if I keep doing my best to turn good numbers as it has so far, anything can happen.  Stay tuned as I seek the almighty 600+ tank.

Ok just to let everyone know I'm working hard to close in on that elusive 600+ tank.  But I feel my present tank is my best opportunity so far if it is going to happen.  This mornings commute around Cupertino saw still another benchmark AvMPG.  I scored a 44.7 on city surface streets while driving 30mph average.  I'm closing in on 300 miles for the first half of the tank and that has never happened before for my CMax.  That puts me in good position for a 600 tank but experience tells me that the second half won't be as good as the first half.  But if I keep doing my best to turn good numbers as it has so far, anything can happen.  Stay tuned as I seek the almighty 600+ tank.

attachicon.gif725.2 MPG (2).JPGattachicon.gif725.2 MPG (1).JPG

Wahooooo! :kookie: 725.2 MPG!!!  Wife made me break the 700 mark and wanted me to go until the car ran out of gas and battery. I wussed out at 725.2 miles! Calculated actual mileage at 736.38 miles and at 13.6 gal 54.14mpg but decided to top off with another .4 gal (14 gal total) for 52.598mpg. This means I should have been running out of gas; I ran out of gas before and put 14 gal in. From this exercise I believe I could get 1,000 miles on a tank if my wife was co-piloting, which is amazing because she hates going slow with no air conditioning! :angry2:  BTW after I filled up she made me turn the air conditioning and speed back to the office - only got 38mpg. Oh well!

I would like to see a new challenge thread for the highest average speed and mpg for 500+ and 600+ miles. Anyone else interested? Whatcha think Jus-A-CMax? I'm getting close to 47 mpg at 65 mph and I think with some more aerodynamic aids might be able to get 47 mpg at 70 mph. We will see.

Sounds like a good challenge to me ptjones, I'm try to set a new all time high mpg myself. I'm up to 44.7 AvMPG so far all in town

Edited by mtb9153

Here are my last screenshots for today, getting closer to 400 miles and still have more than a 1/4 tank left.  But I'm concerned because the computer is telling me I've 248 miles to E and if you subtract my present miles of 350.4 from 600.0 that equals 249.6.  Slightly more than I've got showing showing to E :shift:

trip1_3504miles_zps50476411.jpg?t=137963   tripsummary130919_zps34418e4d.jpg?t=1379   450AvMPG_zpsaa8059c8.jpg?t=1379638868

You can go past 0, there is a built in safety which has been reported at about 20 miles.  Some have even reported going as far as 40 miles past 0.

Your best bet is to watch the gallons in Trip 1, don't go past 13.00 gallons and you should be fine.

In your case, 13 - 7.53 = 5.47 gallons;  5.47 gallons * 46.4 mpg = 253.8 miles.  That puts you over 600!!!

Edited by SnitGTS

wanted me to go until the car ran out of gas and battery.

I strongly advise to NEVER do this.  Remember, the EV battery spins up the ICE to start it.  If you drained the battery completely trying to get that last mile, you may be truly stranded.    I know in the Prius world the only way to remedy this situation is with a special factory charger for the EV battery that has to be shipped in to the dealer you had the car flatbed towed to.  We can only hope the Ford engineers put in a fail-safe to avoid this but do you want to find out?  

You can go past 0, there is a built in safety which has been reported at about 20 miles.  Some have even reported going as far as 40 miles past 0.

Your best bet is to watch the gallons in Trip 1, don't go past 13.00 gallons and you should be fine.

In your case, 13 - 7.53 = 5.47 gallons;  5.47 gallons * 46.4 mpg = 253.8 miles.  That puts you over 600!!!

Thanks for the Math lesson SnitGTS makes me a little more at ease to push 0.  This current tank has really been a eye opener into how much improvement can be gained by just improving on my braking and starting and minimizing ICE as much as I can.  To date my best tank has been 570 miles, time to make it 600+

as Captain Jean Luc Picard would say..."Make it So"

Edited by mtb9153

Thanks for the Math lesson SnitGTS makes me a little more at ease to push 0.  This current tank has really been a eye opener into how much improvement can be gained by just improving on my braking and starting and minimizing ICE as much as I can.  To date my best tank has been 570 miles, time to make it 600+

as Captain Jean Luc Picard would say..."Make it So"

I have run out of gas once and it is a non event, the ICE stops and you are in EV. Just stop when it is convenient and put gas in and remember the funnel in the back under the cover. I put gas in and it started right up. Two gallon gas can =No worries. I was lucky because I ran out across the street from gas station. LOL

I have run out of gas once and it is a non event, the ICE stops and you are in EV. Just stop when it is convenient and put gas in and remember the funnel in the back under the cover. I put gas in and it started right up. Two gallon gas can =No worries. I was lucky because I ran out across the street from gas station. LOL

Now my next question is...how does one safely secure this two gallon gas can until needed?  Certainly don't want it to be thrown round the cargo area and don't want any gas fumes inside the car.  Thought about trying to find a place under the hood to secure it with bungee's or something.  But it not like there is a ton of extra room anywhere under the hood.  Plus any heat might not be a good idea with gas.

Here are my last screenshots for today, getting closer to 400 miles and still have more than a 1/4 tank left.  But I'm concerned because the computer is telling me I've 248 miles to E and if you subtract my present miles of 350.4 from 600.0 that equals 249.6.  Slightly more than I've got showing showing to E :shift:

trip1_3504miles_zps50476411.jpg?t=137963   tripsummary130919_zps34418e4d.jpg?t=1379   450AvMPG_zpsaa8059c8.jpg?t=1379638868

Gonna try to finish this tank off today with a drive up to San Fran since I have the day off.  Two driving options both with fairly level driving conditions.  One is surface streets all the way up the peninsula from the south bay a long and stop light filled trip 60+ miles.  Or take freeway 101 along the SF Bay which is fairly level at sea level  :shift:

Edited by mtb9153

Ok, just updated the Post # 1, moving ptjones into the 700+ club, :rockon:  moved SnitGTS to the top 'o' the heap in the 600+ club :worship: , and added REC and Michiganmax as the newest members :congrats:  . That gives us 38 members with > 600 miles, 5 members with > 700 miles and 1 with > 800 miles!!! :yahoo:  WE ARE AWESOME and Ford should LOVE us!! :wub2:

(If I missed anyone or entered anything incorrectly, please let me know.)

Now my next question is...how does one safely secure this two gallon gas can until needed?  Certainly don't want it to be thrown round the cargo area and don't want any gas fumes inside the car.  Thought about trying to find a place under the hood to secure it with bungee's or something.  But it not like there is a ton of extra room anywhere under the hood.  Plus any heat might not be a good idea with gas.

I just put it behind the back seat in a corner and only put it there when I'm  close. Don't like the smell of gas. Got your can, no worries you will make it.  Paul

Here are the screenshots after my trip to San Fran yesterday including a trip across the new Oakland side span of the Oakland Bay Bridge.  Really nice bridge we CA. taxpayers paid for I might add.

If I'm going to make 600+ on this tank?  It will be on the last fumes of gas since I've still got 138.9 miles to cover in the last 1/4 tank of gas.  Should be interesting.  It amazes me that I drove 59.4 miles on 1.1 gallons...I love technology

f2c769a6-4957-4b4c-a8c2-33c8c7c91984_zps   162abae2-0b71-412e-b4db-4ef417aed88c_zps

Here are the screenshots after my trip to San Fran yesterday including a trip across the new Oakland side span of the Oakland Bay Bridge.  Really nice bridge we CA. taxpayers paid for I might add.

If I'm going to make 600+ on this tank?  It will be on the last fumes of gas since I've still got 138.9 miles to cover in the last 1/4 tank of gas.  Should be interesting.  It amazes me that I drove 59.4 miles on 1.1 gallons...I love technology

f2c769a6-4957-4b4c-a8c2-33c8c7c91984_zps   162abae2-0b71-412e-b4db-4ef417aed88c_zps

Do the math, you still have over 3gal left at 47mpg=about 150mi. Don't forget the gas can. LOL  Paul