What year used C-Max should I buy for elderly Dad

Pinkstar8

Hi, it’s May 2021 and I’m looking at encouraging my elderly Dad (who lives in FL) to buy a C-Max with parking sensors to upgrade from his 2006 Toyota Camry. I want him to have this feature as he has backed into things a few times! I’m thinking also for the SEL model, but is SE good enough? What year should we go for, meaning are there a few issues with particular years? 2015-2017 is what I’ve been searching, perhaps I should go older? He hasn’t been using a gps so I thought the bigger screen type would be preferred. He just goes short distances for errands mainly but he sometimes gets lost if he ventures into downtown. Does the tailgate open with a button, is it hard to close? Thanks anyone. Georgia

There was potential transmission problems with earlier models. These were fixed with cars built August 2015 and later.

I'd suggest an SEL or a model equipped with a reversing camera. Makes parking a lot easier. Also has the bigger screen.

Not sure if all SELs have powered tailgates, but if you can find a car with one, it helps a lot.

25 minutes ago, takingittothemax said:

Not sure if all SELs have powered tailgates, but if you can find a car with one, it helps a lot.

I want to say I've seen some mentions elsewhere that in later models when they started adding the titanium trim, the powered liftgate was relegated to a different option package compared to previous model years with the SEL trim. So just an FYI there when researching if that is a desired feature.

• 4 months later...

Current Consumer Reports data show reliability at 5 out of 5 only for the 2016 and 2017 model years of the C-Max. And CR does not differentiate the Energi from Hybrid in its ratings. 

2015 rated the worst at 2 out 5. 2013/2014 4 out of 5. And the final year (2018) strangely rated at 3 out of 5. 

CR won't report unless they have enough respondents. 

On 10/13/2021 at 12:38 AM, fxo said:

Current Consumer Reports data show reliability at 5 out of 5 only for the 2016 and 2017 model years of the C-Max. And CR does not differentiate the Energi from Hybrid in its ratings. 

2015 rated the worst at 2 out 5. 2013/2014 4 out of 5. And the final year (2018) strangely rated at 3 out of 5. 

CR won't report unless they have enough respondents. 

And if the image above posted by C-MaxA2 and previous experience with these CR ratings are to be believed, the biggest thing dragging down those numbers is likely the Sync system due to the early MyFord Touch issues which would only apply to the 2013-2015 MY's. And these issues have since been resolved with the final updates (3.8/3.10) released for that platform.

Personally I'm not happy about the infotainment being able to impart such a huge impact on the ratings. Especially for a vehicle like ours where the loss of the system wasn't as much of a safety issue with climate controls available as physical controls.

I agree with you on the infotainment being such a big factor but for some people it is huge (not me).   I'd stay with C-Maxs built after Aug. 15, 2015 to avoid transmission failure (at 100k plus). 

We have a '16' (manufactured in Oct. of 2015...) and a '17 (manufactured in Oct. of 2017) and the 2017 is by far the better of the two. Paid $14,450 for my 2017 SE with 16,400 miles. Zero issues with either so far. 

• 11 months later...

Definitely the power lift gate and check the infortainment system to be sure it has the navigation option. I just bought a used 2017 titanium model - which didn’t come with the power lift gate and now wish I had kept looking for one with it. It so utterly convenient and likely essential for a senior. The  lift gate is rather high up to reach in order to close it manually. I’d need a step stool if I were any shorter and I’m 5’6”!  LOL 

and be sure to check for the NAV system - on mine, I didn’t even notice that it didn’t have the NAV system before I had my car  for a couple of days  - turns out that too was optional for the cmax titanium. With a name like that you’d think it were fully loaded. 

I am considering both features after market. The nav system looks like it would be 300-800 depending on whether the Nav brain piece is new or used.

the install looks fairly easy. 

An after market power lift gate, on the other hand, appears to be a bigger  project  more pricey project, likely for a professional.