C-Max in the snow?

Pathebear

Welcome from across the Lake!

Since you ask... If you only have 2 snow tires, they go on the rear. Seriously, you need stability under braking more than anything. Get 4 of the same.

Next is to get dedicated wheels, so putting on snows is just tire rotation. Honestly, I'd offer my old snows, except it sounds like you're already involved in a purchase. (The Escape specs a larger tire.) 

Then just drive like you know it's snowing. The only thing that slowed the C-Max on Michelin X-Ice was deep snalt* and damp ice, but

I didn't go off-roading. I'd suggest tires but I understand you may have made that decision already. I've become a fan of "all-weather" tires with 3PMSF designation that last in warm weather. The Escape Hybrid will not get snows.

*snalt is that mixture of snow and salt held at slush-point temperature which slides under all conditions; very hard to walk in. 

Hmmm.  As far as snow tires I believe it is best to use on all 4.  If I had absolutely no choice but to buy only 2 I would follow what Ford says to put the chains on in the owners' manual.  The convention I always remember is to put traction devices, ie. snow chains, on the drive wheels.  In the C-MAX case the drive wheels are the front, so you want the most traction on the front:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/aem_fleet/en_us/fleet/showroom/resources/2017-C-Max-Modifiers-Guide.pdf

https://peerlesschain.com/pages/faqs

Great snow experience shared by our prior moderator:

https://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/805-let-is-snow-let-it-snow-let-it-snowcmax-at-mammoth-lakes-ca/

Edited by jzchen

On 11/1/2021 at 10:04 AM, jzchen said:

If I had absolutely no choice but to buy only 2 I would follow what Ford says to put the chains on in the owners' manual.  The convention I always remember is to put traction devices, ie. snow chains, on the drive wheels.  In the C-MAX case the drive wheels are the front, so you want the most traction on the front:

Just remember to take them off when you reach pavement. 

Chains are temporary a traction device. If you treat snow tires like chains, be sure to put them back on the rear when you're done. It's very rare that you want the most traction in the front. Braking becomes unstable, and folks frequently hit things when they spin. You don't want to screw up braking balance by "putting the feathers at the wrong end of the arrow."