SD Card and USB spec question

Hi, Does anyone know what the Max capacities are for the USB flash drives and SD slot and what formatting they like? Am looking at a 128gb USB or SDXC but no clue if they'll work. I'm guessing NTFS or exFat, but what format works? I have a MacBook as my primary laptop with 90GB of music so would like to try and get that in the car. I have a Galaxy S3 with external SD and can play music on there through BT from the 64GB external SD I have in the phone, but it's pretty temperamental - sometimes works, sometimes not. Thanks!

Gee you two would fit right in on The Big Bang Theory.  I had to re-read your posts several times and I still am not sure you are speaking English LOL.

Different ways of Formatng a storage device for use

FAT32 - This strange term refers to the way Windows stores data on your hard drive. "FAT" stands for "File Allocation Table," which keeps track of all your files and helps the computer locate them on the disk. Even if a file gets fragmented (split up into various areas on the disk), the file allocation table still can keep track of it. FAT32 is an improvement to the original FAT system, since it uses more bits to identify each cluster on the the disk. This helps the computer locate files easier and allows for smaller clusters, which improves the efficiency of your hard disk. FAT32 supports up to 2 terabytes of hard disk storage. Unless you are a serious power user, that should be more than enough space for you.

NTFS -

Stands for "New Technology File System." NTFS is a file system introduced by Microsoft with Windows NT and is supported by subsequent versions of Windows, such as Windows 2000 and Windows XP. NTFS has a number of advantages over the previous file system, named FAT32 (File Allocation Table). One major advantage of NTFS is that it includes features to improve reliablity. For exmaple, the new technology file system includes fault tolerance, which automatically repairs hard drive errors without displaying error messages. It also keeps detailed transaction logs, which tracks hard drive errors. This can help prevent hard disk failures and makes it possible to recover files if the hard drive does fail. NTFS also allows permissions (such as read, write, and execute) to be set for individual directories and files. It even supports spanning volumes, which allows directories of files to be spread across multiple hard drives. The only reason why you would not want to select NTFS when formatting your hard drive is if you like slow, outdated technology or you need to run an older operating system such as Windows 95 or MS-DOS. Of course, if you are running DOS, there is a good chance you really do like outdated technology.

exFat - (EXtended File Allocation Table) An enhanced version of the FAT file system from Microsoft that uses less overhead than NTFS. It extends the maximum file size of 4GB in FAT32 to virtually unlimited. exFAT was added to Windows CE and Windows Vista (SP1). See FAT32.

If I recall right Sync will only recognize a usb key formated as FAT32

Damn, I guess there's no way to subscribe to my own posts here, or I'd have seen replies.. anyway, yeah I read the manual but didn't see anything on the SD, only that there was a slot and it played media. I'll try a 128gb and post back if it works. They're only about $120 on Amazon. By the way, anyone having issues with auto play being off through Bluetooth but it still auto playing anyway once the phone's connected? Thanks for the help folks!

Alas, it's a low-res screen, that only does video through the composite-video input, that only works while in Park.

I hadn't used anything with composite video in years.  I wish they had used HDMI, and also allowed MFT to play video files.

So does anybody else's phone, when plugged into the C-Max USB, cause an unsupported-format message?  Mine does, even though it shows up on my PC as FAT32 format.

(It's a Sprint HTC Evo 4g LTE.)

Alas, it's a low-res screen, that only does video through the composite-video input, that only works while in Park.

I hadn't used anything with composite video in years.  I wish they had used HDMI, and also allowed MFT to play video files.

So does anybody else's phone, when plugged into the C-Max USB, cause an unsupported-format message?  Mine does, even though it shows up on my PC as FAT32 format.

(It's a Sprint HTC Evo 4g LTE.)

I have the same phone and it shows that message all the time.

Are you keeping the phone in HTC Media mode, or mount as a drive?

I'm trying to mount it as a drive.

I wonder if it's because it always connects first in HTC Media mode, and by the time I can switch it, Sync has already rejected it.

On a PC, that media-mode seems a mixed blessing.  It doesn't have to dismount/remount the SD in the phone, but some programs don't know how to deal with the file path (like my favorite photo viewer).

I tried a new 128gb SDXC - works but each time I start up, it indexes the card and forgets what it played last. Takes 20 mins to index, so it works but not well. Shuffle plays 1 track then tells me to browse for another track when it's done. 32gb card and 8gb USB both the same result but index time is less. Think I'll just stick with the Galaxy S3 over bluetooth, although that's not great either as it always automatically plays any sound file it finds on the phone rather than allowing me to play music from Play Music. I may end up going back to the line in setup I had in my old Jeep at this rate.

• 5 months later...

Regarding NTFS: I reformatted an old camera SD card with NTFS, but Ford Sync by Microsoft could not read it. Reformatted with FAT32 and it works now. I guess NTFS is not supported for USB.

It is nice to use the SD card instead of an iPod, thus avoiding battery charging issues.

(Added because this thread came up in Google search and misled me into thinking NTFS is supported.)

Edited by CAcreeks