Best 12v Charger

asb

I have one of those jobs where I leave for work at 5 a.m., and I can't be late.  I want to be prepared in case the 12v battery dies on me.  I've read through the battery threads and just want to ask - what should I purchase to keep in the car with me?  I'm not battery savvy.

I looked at the Tender Plus and the Tender Jr.  But I'm not sure what I really need.

Thanks.

For the problems the C-Max has been exhibiting, I'd go with a battery powered jump-starter rather than a charger like a Tender.

It doesn't need much current, just enough to wake up the system, so it can be small.

If I were to do it over, I'd probably go with something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Jump-Car-Starter/dp/B008S8HI1K/ref=sr_1_40?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1360027262&sr=1-40

I purchased the following, it fits compactly in the below floor storage behind the driver seat.

Ounce of prevention I hop I never need to use it.  Summers in AZ take a toll on batteries, so you never know when they will fail, they just do.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GO5E10/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

Note: remind yourself somehow to re-charge the unit every 6 months, as it will lose power over time.

I purchased the following, it fits compactly in the below floor storage behind the driver seat.

Ounce of prevention I hop I never need to use it.  Summers in AZ take a toll on batteries, so you never know when they will fail, they just do.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GO5E10/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

Note: remind yourself somehow to re-charge the unit every 6 months, as it will lose power over time.

For the problems the C-Max has been exhibiting, I'd go with a battery powered jump-starter rather than a charger like a Tender.

It doesn't need much current, just enough to wake up the system, so it can be small.

If I were to do it over, I'd probably go with something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Jump-Car-Starter/dp/B008S8HI1K/ref=sr_1_40?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1360027262&sr=1-40

Has anyone successfully used one of these (or equivalent) devices?  If so, I'm curious as to which 12V outlet was used.  I ask because with all the automatic shut down of various systems, I'm wondering which, if any, of the 12V outlets would be able to zap the car back to life.

BillN, I have not had need to use it, bought it as "insurance" from being stranded with a dead 12v, hoping it could provide enough power to allow the C-Max to start.  If all fails, a tow truck is the only answer.

My concern comes form living in the desert heat, which eats up batteries, and most times you have little or no idea your is about to die.

Hope I never have to use it, but its, kind of like a spare tire....oh wait, we didn't get one of those....!

• 9 months later...

I've been looking at the "Mighty Jump Pro" but the reviews have been mixed.  Unfortunately, if the battery dies because of bad cells or old age, then nothng is going to really help, which could be part of the reason for some bad reviews.  But since some new C-Max batteries are failing and are smaller than regular car batteries, this device might be enough to work.