Energi Battery - Notes, upgrades?

TankII

So, the Energi has a much higher quality air-cooled battery (According to Ford) than the competition.  My care and feeding has been:

If outside temp is below 80 F (or below 75 F with high humidity), then normal Level-2 charging anytime is fine.

If the temp is above 80 F or 75 F with high humidity, I will either defer charging for an hour after driving to let the battery de-stress, or switch to Level-1 charging if doing lots of driving.  Otherwise, I switch to night-only charging during summer months.

Both mine and my daughter's Energi's are around 75K miles.  I generally use my battery on my way home, which is a long uphill stretch so the battery mileage is always around 11 miles.  If I reset it for trips that are not long hills and highway, I'm back up around the 20 mile mark.

I was looking at Ford's Escape battery pack as an optional upgrade.  Ford claims it is a Suitcase-sized unit (so I would guess around the same dimensions) with 14KWH capacity.

Assuming the existing fan cooling is switched to a glycol system with a small radiator, pump, and fan using the existing sensors and fan power leads via relays, I don't see why it wouldn't work though the mini radiator and fan will likely have to have custom ducting made/molded.

Does anyone have any specs on the new battery system?

Has anyone come up with alternative higher-density liquid-cooled setups on their own?

On 4/8/2022 at 4:35 PM, TankII said:

I was looking at Ford's Escape battery pack as an optional upgrade. 

Why? Your life is holding well! 

The biggest issue is that the HVB is matched to an inverter/converter system tailored to the HVB voltage. It's a smaller battery, running at lower voltage than C-Max, but with water cooling that allows much more aggressive charging/discharging. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of the future.  I keep cars for 20+ years these days, so a future upgrade would be nice.

The main concern I have is external temperature and the effect it has.  The Pacifica is gets 30 miles on battery (unless it is really, really cold out) of its battery if I pre-warm the car.

The C-Max - 11 miles best, if at the same temperature and pre-warmed.  8 miles if driven cold.  It would be nice to get 20-30 miles when cold out and be less impacted by temperature overall.

I understand it is designed for more aggressive discharge/recharging - so is the Pacifica.  And that would limit energy recovery when driving on the hills around here.  If there was a kit that used the Panasonic 4680 cells or similar, kept the voltage the same as existing, but with higher density it would probably work well as they are slower discharge/recharge units. 

In optimal weather, I can drive to my old job (No A/C or Heat, mostly downhill) on a full charge or run Hybrid mode to work, then drive back and have the last five miles on battery.  When I do run errands, I'm out for a couple hours easy, and having 14KW would cut my gas use by another 25%.

My Highway driving is for 2-4 hours (sometimes 12), so I wouldn't expect any benefit there.

I do have to rust-proof the frame and suspension this spring if I want to see that 20+ years I hope for.