Does my 2013 CMax Hybrid have the wrong dipstick?

oldloboy

After 10 years of having my oil changed at my Dealership, I tried the local Walmart.  One of the "technicians" requested a post-oil-change conference.  They did put in 4.5 quarts.  But, oil hardly registered on my dipstick.  They then used the part no. on the stick, D454A, to look up the part.  They said the dipstick was for a Ford Focus!!  Since the Dealer was a half mile away, I drove over immediately and talked to the Service Manager.  He verified that the oil level wasn't showing and then pulled the dipstick and we went to his parts guy.  They found the the no., D454A , was an engineering no. ??  and further checking showed that the dipstick WAS for a 2013 CMax.   And, they put in another quart of oil for free.  What do you suppose is going on?  My car has , maybe, 5.5 or 6 quarts of oil in it now, bringing the level up to "full" on my CMax or Focus dipstick!

Yeah doesn't sound right.  I have 2013 hybrid c-max and change my own oil.

I buy the 5 quart mobile one synthetic and there is always about a quart left over.

I will measure the length of my dipstick and post it later.

Mine measured 19.25" from the tip to the bottom of the plastic handle.

Also make sure they put on the correct oil filter.

Manual says 4.5 quarts for oil

Edited by homestead
updated with length

On 5/27/2022 at 6:45 PM, homestead said:

Mine measured 19.25" from the tip to the bottom of the plastic handle.

Ditto on my 2013 hybrid as well.  Also see the D454A number near the top but at the bottom is FoMoCo CM5E-6750-BB.  4.5 qt is always enough (includes filter change).

BTW, Mobil 1 now comes in 12 qt box with a nice spigot that is considerably cheaper than the 5 qt jugs.

Edited by SnowStorm

On 5/30/2022 at 5:35 AM, SnowStorm said:

Ditto on my 2013 hybrid as well.  Also see the D454A number near the top but at the bottom is FoMoCo CM5E-6750-BB.  4.5 qt is always enough (includes filter change).

BTW, Mobil 1 now comes in 12 qt box with a nice spigot that is considerably cheaper than the 5 qt jugs.

Where are you buying the Mobile 1 oil?  I see the price about the same at $5/qt.  $60 for 12 qts or $25 for 5 quarts.

At Walmart - last year sometime I guess.  I don't remember the price, just that it was cheaper.  Maybe it was a special or maybe I just messed up on the mental math comparison!  It was the so called "high mileage" joke, 5W-20, which now shows online at $49.97.  Anyway, for someone doing 2 or more oil changes per year (yuk!!!), I like the box.

P.S. I don't give a hoot about all the silly variants the 'malarketing' folks come up with!  The cheapest 5W-20 Mobil 1 is fine for me (other brands too no doubt).  At 243k total miles this crazy car still uses essentially no oil - maybe a few ounces!