Where is your Front Plate?

C-MaxSea

Ours is where yours is Valkraider and I think it looks good there.  That must be Sky showing off her fog lights eh?  We've had fog the last couple of days--thus we are heading to the Mayan Riviera is a couple of weeks to escape the gloom.  We had hotel reservations down in Cannon Beach, but changed our minds as we need some guaranteed sun.

Trying to decide what looks best:  mounting fully in the upper grill area, straddleing the body panel below the upper grill or perhaps a lower mount altogether???   Would prefer to lose the front plate, but alas.........    Nick

You could mount on Grill Cover and improve your MPG's. :)tn_gallery_143_17_336637.jpg

PT.  We have pretty mild temps in Seattle - most often between 40 & 80 (extremes say 25 to 90 - three to four weeks a year), which makes it fairly ideal for the C-Max.  What is the temp range you would recommend for the covers - cold, cold, cold to ________________?  I guess there would be two answers to that; one upper temp reflecting the limit for safe engine cooling, and one for the temp where it would tend to lose effectiveness?  Assuming top end speeds of say 65.  Nick

PS  I tend to like the plate 'all on the grill' a bit better than the straddle design - breaking up the horizontal body band under the grill is a bit goofy looking..............but then again???

Edited by C-MaxSeattle

PT.  We have pretty mild temps in Seattle - most often between 40 & 80 (extremes say 25 to 90 - three to four weeks a year), which makes it fairly ideal for the C-Max.  What is the temp range you would recommend for the covers - cold, cold, cold to ________________?  I guess there would be two answers to that; one upper temp reflecting the limit for safe engine cooling, and one for the temp where it would tend to lose effectiveness?  Assuming top end speeds of say 65.  Nick

PS  I tend to like the plate 'all on the grill' a bit better than the straddle design - breaking up the horizontal body band under the grill is a bit goofy looking..............but then again???

There is no temp limitation, you get three Grill Covers two for center grill and one for below. At around 60deg.F driving on the fwy I go to cut out Grill Cover to allow air flow to radiator. If you need to use AC remove bottom Grill Cover and store on back of rear seat with Velcro tabs. You can use Full Grill Covers in City driving all year around until you need AC then install Cut Out Grill Cover and remove low Grill Cover. Go to my gallery to see Pics and Info.

Edited by ptjones

And then there is Plan C.  As noted above, a neighbor received their C-Max with the plate frame mistakenly installed two rungs up higher on the grill. I think it is a viable option.  Nick 

Sorry for these lousy phone images - will get a better one some day.

DSC 0907

DSC 0906

Edited by C-MaxSeattle

• 4 months later...

And then there is Plan C. As noted above, a neighbor received their C-Max with the plate frame mistakenly installed two rungs up higher on the grill. I think it is a viable option. Nick

Just noticed my front plate is just like your neighbors. Wonder if having it installed that high up would restrict the airflow??? Edited by xanotos

And then there is Plan C. As noted above, a neighbor received their C-Max with the plate frame mistakenly installed two rungs up higher on the grill. I think it is a viable option. Nick

Just noticed my front plate is just like your neighbors. Wonder if having it installed that high up would restrict the airflow??? Edited by xanotos

I didn't get any options as my dealer mounted the license before I took delivery.  It appears to be pop riveted on, I painted my large grille opening black with plasti-dip to match my alloy wheels.  Wanted to paint behind the license plate frame but couldn't remove it so painted around it.  All the chrome is black, I hate chrome.  My plan is to black out everything chrome to give it that stealthy look.  Including the chrome around the side windows.

What do you think?

I greatly prefer the look of your location but that covers nearly 50% of the lower vent.

This is the location of mine as it came from the dealer and looks to be like ptjones.  The very top of the license plate partially covers two open rows, the bottom section of the upper grill is not open. Excuse the bugs from recent road trips.  :sad:

ee2aa7d2-ac3f-40da-b2c8-554b17d25007_zps

It looks like the OP and StoBro2's version is the best for not blocking airflow but that location really interrupts the styling lines of the chrome trim ring.   Decisions, decisions.......

Edited by fotomoto

Thanks to Fotomoto and Seattle for the replies.

I will indeed post some more on the installation and on the air flow consideration,

but briefly:

1.  Re. the air flow restirction:  I did give the issue some serious thought and even a bit of calculation.  The result was that I'm not very concerned.  Further, my C-max is an Energi, and the ICE hardly ever gets to run, let alone get fully warmed up.

2.  Installation was a snap.  One day I may figure out an even lower mounting, but this one was soooooooooooooo easy that I just did it.

My front plate is on a shelf in my garage.  In Indiana, no front plate is required.  I drilled out the pop rivets that had my "dealer's plate" riveted on and removed the plate.  The lines are clean looking without a plate.  Some day soon I will fill in the rivet holes with black caulking. :)