New Member with C-Max SEL since September 2012

rmcmast

Just a quick note to say hi. I just found this forum.

I've had my C-Max SEL since last September. This is our 3rd Hybrid. The previous 2 where a 2007 and 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid.

I was planning to take a serious look at the C-Max when they came out since there were no more FEH's after 2012. An accident last June changed my plans and I had a 2013 Ford Escape for a few months. We really liked the car, but missed having a hybrid.

I'm not impressed with the mileage yet and I'm hoping things improve when temps rise. Other than that, we love the car. The passenger room in the front feels the same as the Escape, just less space in the back which we didn't need anyway. And its fun to drive.

Edited by rmcmast

Hey welcome to the forum rmcmast- yeah, don't worry about the MPG, it's a takes a long while (> 5000 miles) till the engine breaks in and the summer heat enhances your chances for better MPGs, be patient. In the meantime, enjoy the forum and enjoy the car  :) 

As a prior owners of 2 Escapes, is the CMax more responsive, same or less? Jus' curious.

Just a quick note to say hi. I just found this forum.

I've had my C-Max SEL since last September. This is our 3rd Hybrid. The previous 2 where a 2007 and 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid.

I was planning to take a serious look at the C-Max when they came out since there were no more FEH's after 2012. An accident last June changed my plans and I had a 2013 Ford Escape for a few months. We really liked the car, but missed having a hybrid.

I'm not impressed with the mileage yet and I'm hoping things improve when temps rise. Other than that, we love the car. The passenger room in the front feels the same as the Escape, just less space in the back which we didn't need anyway. And its fun to drive.

Read the Fuel Mileage Forum threads, they have good info on how to improve MPG's.

Edited by ptjones

Hey welcome to the forum rmcmast- yeah, don't worry about the MPG, it's a takes a long while (> 5000 miles) till the engine breaks in and the summer heat enhances your chances for better MPGs, be patient. In the meantime, enjoy the forum and enjoy the car  :) 

As a prior owners of 2 Escapes, is the CMax more responsive, same or less? Jus' curious.

I'd say its at least as responsive as the Escapes, maybe more. The interior in the front is a lot like the 2013 Escape and it really did feel like driving the Escape from the beginning.

We are over 7,000 miles on the car so I'm past break in. Since I live in a rural area and work downtown, I have a lot of highway driving, so not a lot of city to get mpg back up on either side of my daily commute. There are also a lot of rolling hills.

I'd say its at least as responsive as the Escapes, maybe more. The interior in the front is a lot like the 2013 Escape and it really did feel like driving the Escape from the beginning.

We are over 7,000 miles on the car so I'm past break in. Since I live in a rural area and work downtown, I have a lot of highway driving, so not a lot of city to get mpg back up on either side of my daily commute. There are also a lot of rolling hills.

Check out 3MPG gain thread in fuel mileage forum, the Grill Covers should be worth 2-3mpg improvement.

I haven't gone to grill covers yet, but here is what i do for mileage:

I try to keep my max speed on the highway 60mpg or less when I can get away with it based on traffic. I leave late for work when I can which allows me to be a little more flexible with traffic (and to sleep later).

I have several alternate routes I take about 70% of the time which allows additional city driving and avoids some hills. Tire pressure is up to 42psi.

Most of my daily drive to/from work is highway with rolling hills. I let speed bleed off going up if traffic allows, speed up over the top and coast down or glide in N if battery charge is high and I don't need to regen on the way down. On straight always that are level (or near level) I stay below 62mph and use EV.

Edited by rmcmast