I RAN OUT OF GAS TODAY, 13.86Gallons

ptjones

I ran out off gas on purpose to find out how much the gas tank holds. I came up with 13.86gal on the first click filling slowly. Car was reasonally level and trip gauge read 590mi corrected to 599mi, 13.09gal. 13.86gal actual, 320.4mi  EV, 45mpg, actual 43.2mpg (40's rainy cold weather).

I was prepared for the worst with 2gal can in trunk but ran out couple hundred yards from gas station. I EVed it to station. When you run out you get message in RED that states STOP SAFELY then ICE dies and your on EV. What next happens I'm not sure about because I had to turn right into parking lot  to turn around to go across the street to gas station. When I stopped to backup the car acted dead. I didn't floor it but instead I put it in park and turned it off and back on. At that point everything acted normal and I EVed it across the street to gas pumps.  I would say I got lucky on that one and could have turned out to more of a problem.

Now we know pretty close to what the tank holds. :)

ptjones...mate...you have a good scuba gear there, hard to breath in all that sweat my friend  ;) 

Actually I'm not a big fan of gas fumes (2gal gas container) in my CMAX. No sweat involved but I was really wondering if it was ever going to run out of gas(I went 20mi farther than I though I go) and there was no notice it just stopped. I intentionally drove around roads where there was plenty of room to get off the road to use my 2gal container in an emergency, which didn't happen. :)

Hee... you need to put up a warning, :redcard:  don't try this without a spare 2 gallon in the back  I took mine out unless I am on my last run, the fumes were getting to me. 

Looks like I'll cap the max at 13.0 gallons on the readout then. 35 miles past zero is insane - thats how conservative Ford has made its estimation. Hey did you get any weird or unusual MPG readings when you are near low? For instance, one 12 mile run I always do I know I can get 55-60MPG consistently but that one low tank run, it came up with something insane like 70MPG and I did nothing special - anything like that happen to you?

Just-A-CMax I see your last fill up was 49.3mpg good job. :happy feet:

Wow, I forgot about that, thanks. I am seeing improvements ever since 3,000 miles odo and it's not levelled out yet. However my fuelly is gonna get a low hit due to my Mammoth trip this weekend...but I did still see a nice 2.4 mpg improvement driving here...gotta :wub2:  that.

ptjones....you are brave! Thank you for the info though!

Not that brave I two gal in the back. I believe you are over stating the risk. The ICE just stopped and I didn't try to restart it until I put more gas in it. BTW it started immediately,no problem. Don't make a habit of it. :) 

Thank you for the info and being the guinea pig for this.

I would always run 1/8 of a tank of gas or more, fuel pumps need fuel sitting in the tank to cool them. I tell my wife the low fuel light is also a Pump Hot light.

You bring up a good question. Does the pump run all the time? I thought it only pressurized the system. If you are EVing 60-70% of the time there is no reason to be pumping unless there is a return line to the tank.

• 7 years later...

Old topic but still relevant!

A relative bought a C-Max some time after we did - has driven it for years but just recently ran out of gas.  He was able to EV to a gas station so is now saying he'll never buy anything but a hybrid!

(Of course when SnowStorm gets that electric car, he'll never run out of gas!)