'Intelligent Access' keyless entry/start door sensor replacement tips/notes

cr08

Someone had brought this up on the C-Max subreddit and I posted a long wall of text essentially detailing my own process when I tried to sort out the lock/unlock sensor in the drivers door handle in my Energi. Thought it might be worth reposting here as well just for documentation purposes since even Ford's own workshop manual doesn't go into the FULL detail that I feel is really needed after I had gone through this.

As an FYI for those without the 'Intelligent Access' feature and no sensors in the door handles, the door handle replacement is a TON easier. Same process as laid out below, but ignore the warnings about the wiring since none of that is there.

Sadly I don't have any pictures of the process, but I feel like I am acutely familiar with this now so feel free to toss any questions this way and I can try to answer them.

Just recently dealt with this on mine as well. Ford has a TSB with a recommended workaround of disassembling the handle then thoroughly cleaning and spraying the actual sensor piece with some kind of conformal coating. However this did not work in my case.

What I did end up doing in the interim was simply swapping the passenger and drivers handles since I never used the sensor on the passenger side much. The actual handle (not the lock cylinder) is the same on each side, just flipped.

There's a lot of videos on Youtube of how to remove these handles on different Ford models however they are not all the same and on some models you need to be very careful with removal otherwise the interior door panel needs to be taken off to reset the mechanism. THANKFULLY for the C-Max, that doesn't apply.

1) Like most of the instructions out there, there's a small plastic cap on the edge of the door and inside is a torx bit. You'll need a long driver to reach it. Unscrew it carefully while constantly trying to wiggle the lock cylinder portion out. Once you're able to remove it without forcing it, stop with the torx screw.

2) With the lock cylinder removed, simply pull the handle back towards the rear of the door to 'unlock' it. Then gently lever it out of the hole in the door. Careful with the sensor wires.

3) Gently pull the sensor wire out. The connector inside of the door is on a hinge that will lever up for easy access and SHOULD hold in place. Removing the connector you may get lucky and can just pull it out, but don't force it. If it doesn't come out, you may need a small flat screwdriver or pick tool to disengage it.

Reinstallation is just the reverse process. Slide in the handle and push it forward until it clicks back into position, ensuring the rubber gaskets underneath are placed right. Then insert the lock cylinder and tighten the torx bit until it is all secure.

One thing to be aware of is the internal connector on the hinge I talked about. Once reconnected, lever that connector UP inside the door and it should rotate back inside the door, leaving room to reinstall the handle. Do NOT force it! If you do this wrong and the internal connector falls off its hinge, it will fall inside the door and could scrape against the window while rolling up/down and the window could possibly disconnect the wiring as well. I ran into this myself and had to take the inner door panel off to get that connector back on its hinge. If it does disconnect, it won't affect being able to lock/unlock the door or open with the handle, just the touch sensors will remain inoperative.

In addition to swapping with the passenger door as an option, it should be a piece of cake to buy a replacement either direct through Ford or used. No need to worry about paint color. The handle is really easy to disassemble and the sensor itself can be removed and replaced separate from the painted exterior pieces. I have not ventured down this route yet myself. The handle basically consists of 3 pieces: The top and bottom halves of the painted exterior and the sensor module inside which runs the full length of the handle. It's all held together by two or three screws and the sensor in the handle is simply friction fit.

Edited by cr08

On 9/2/2022 at 11:13 AM, stolenmoment said:

As a data point, the Ford techs rendered the door handle sensors inoperative while doing the door latch recall.  Always check things like this!

Interesting. Just reviewed the workshop manual for the listed official process for latch replacement and it does involve removing/replacing the actual door handle mechanism so it wouldn't be farfetched at all that they would miss the touch sensor connector that they would have had to remove. Definitely worth it to be aware of if anyone gets this or related work done and the sensors 'suddenly' fail.

Just for documentation purposes, I have posted Ford's TSB on this where they recommend to disassemble the handle and clean and use some coating on it. In my case this didn't fix it but if anyone else wants to try it.

Here's the stuff I bought as referenced per the TSB: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01L1UFJ9E

14-0078.pdf