Jus-A-CMax

89.1 MPG in a 2013 Prius.  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Legit or Fake?

• Legit
    • Fake

Found this curiosity while going thru Fuelly.com - 688 miles 7.72 gallons

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/pdibacco/prius

In a practically brand new 13 Prius. I have heard of the Gen 2 doing 600 miles in their 11.9 gallon tanks, barely but more than 600 miles in 7.72 gallons?

Legit or Fake? 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Looks like Paula forgot to reset, caculate and enter her 4th fillup.

Yea, two tanks at ~40mpg, then one almost exactly double that after a longer delay. Seems like a missed entry is the most likely explanation.

It's remotely possible that she drove 600 miles almost entirely on low-traffic roads averaging 25mph, that would also be a legitimate way to get that type of number.

It's possible. When I owned my Prius and was a member of the forum, the goal of many (not me) was to see how many miles to go on a tank. And to see the highest mpg by any means possible. I remember several 600 or more miles achieved.

My daughter has 2011 Prius and she freaks out when fuel gauge gets to empty and then it only takes 9gal.  It's hard to imagine someone with new car risking that without some experience.

Agree on the probable missed fillup.  Sadly, I'm assuming there are many 'anomolies' (to be kind) on the Fuelly site. I have e-mailed a couple Fuelly's with goofy looking numbers and gotten minimal feedback.  A gentle reminder to this person might produce a correction (or explanation) - always worth a try.   Nick

Do we really care what the MPG of a Prii is?  I mean, they wake up in the morning, and they're still driving a car with no acceleration, that makes a lot of noise, has a off centered (to the driver) video display (I might add, a monocromatic display, if that display was a phone it would have a dial!), and a stick shift that belongs on a video game.

Fuelly is absolute iron clad proof that they drive a superior car. At least that is how it reads in the Press, where the high fuel economy seems to be the only reason they can think of to buy a hybrid.

Come spring and into summar, watch the CMax band peak shift to the right as the MPGs and all the engines break in and more importantly, as the CMax drivers learn to max their FE.

I heard SparkyRachel with her brand new Rainette are getting some ridiculous MPGs already for a brand spanking new car  ;)   Mind you, shes really knowledgeable already by hanging in this forum  :rockon:

Well, I don't want to brag or anything but ... Oh, why not?

I really need to keep a log book in my car. Have seen 44 and lots of high 30s/low 40s. I must say, this board has helped me so much.

Even my dad is doing awesome. He has never seen a message board but always asks how everyone here is doing :). He made a run to the gym the other day and almost half his miles were in EV!

I cannot wait Til it's warmer weather. Heck, I had the ac on today on the way home and got 40mpg. Gotta love it!

Come spring and into summar, watch the CMax band peak shift to the right as the MPGs and all the engines break in and more importantly, as the CMax drivers learn to max their FE.

I know this is true, because it's up to 35* here this week :yahoo:  and I'm getting 40mpg on the way to work (prev. high was 33 in the *colder* temps) and 48 mpg on the way home today. :happy feet: We're gonna have temps in the high 40s-low 50s this weekend and I'll be finding excuses to go drive, just to see what I'll get   :shift:

Yep, that's me alright! And I've got Jerry doing the mpg thing in his 1998 Chevy Venture (til he gets his C-Max) too! So it's contagious across species!

Well..I am guaranteed of 1 more post in my Twins thread then - right Adair?!?!  :) 

Now, if yours is Jelly Bean...does that make Jerry's Jello Bob?

bob_wit_jello.jpg

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

It is possible to get very high mpg's in the Prius, BUT you would have to drive in such a way that no one else would imagine doing.  Can you imagine if there was any traffic around - a bunch of pissed off driver wonder what the heck you're doing going so slow and holding up traffic.  I also question if the mileage includes a cold start up.  Some advocates of high mpg's (cleanmpg.com) don't include the warm-up of the ICE and being sure the hybrid battery is fully charges before they start a test run.  Being a Prius owner myself, I pretty much drive like I always do (80-90% in rush hour traffic) and get a real 51 - 54 mpg calculated.

Edited by jhinsc