Pandora

I prefer Pandora over Sirius.  And no matter how many times I read the instructions, I'm simply unable to understand how to get Pandora on to my MFT sync.  Currently, I do run Pandora over bluetooth.  Anyone understand how to do this?

You can not use Pandora with MFT in the C-Max. Currently the C-Max is a "generation 2" sync system, which does not (yet?) support Applink.

I have read that the gen2 systems will never support AppLink - that it will be limited to Gen3 systems or newer.

I probably wouldn't say "never" but I would highly doubt that they get it retrofitted into the older Gen2 systems.

Note: this is not about what version of MFT there is - Gen2 and Gen3 (it is my understanding) refers to the hardware specs of the system on which the MFT runs.

Probably the Gen2 system isn't fast enough or doesn't have enough RAM or something.

Or they just want to push the newer exciting vehicles?

Interesting.  The Ford site does say that applink is available on C-Max, but doesn't specify which ones.  I'm okay with using Bluetooth, but with the applink version, you can do thumbs up or down, etc., from the screen instead of your phone.  

Interesting.  The Ford site does say that applink is available on C-Max, but doesn't specify which ones.  I'm okay with using Bluetooth, but with the applink version, you can do thumbs up or down, etc., from the screen instead of your phone.  

It's available if you don't have MFT but normal Sync.

I control pandora through my phone. So, download pandora onto your phone, dire it up on your phone, turn on the phone's bluetooth, turn on car, and then stream pandora through the car's bluetooth. You can use the car touch screen to pause and play but will need to do everything else on the phone.

Yeah, that's normal audio over Bluetooth. I can do that with all my audio apps on my phone in all my vehicles that support A2DP - even my motorcycle helmet...

Applink is actually an application on the vehicle that simply uses the phone's data connection. Without MFT - how do you run an app? What is the screen, and how would you, say, search for an Artist on Pandora?

Applink is actually an application on the vehicle that simply uses the phone's data connection. Without MFT - how do you run an app? What is the screen, and how would you, say, search for an Artist on Pandora?

The idea of AppLink is to use Sync voice commands (and the car's control pads) to control smartphone apps, "so you can keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road," as Ford likes to say. The phone's screen goes blank (other than a dark gray Sync logo). The car's MyFord screen (a smaller, non-touchable version of your MFT screen) picks up the artist info, etc. instead, so even if you do want to look, it's safer (big letters, and no pop-over ads). You can pull the Sync voice paddle and use voice commands (or the car's buttons) to do things like skip, thumb-up/down, create new station, etc. You can send the audio over either Bluetooth Audio or USB.

With an iPhone, you manually start Pandora on the phone; plug the phone into USB; pull the voice paddle and say Mobile Apps > Pandora, and you're off. Apparently with Android you don't have to start it manually or be plugged in or be limited to just one Applink app running at a time. Boo Apple.

Here's a list of commands: http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/pandora-for-sync-applink-sync#reload

Edited by HotPotato

I have used Pandora (on my phone) using mysync.  I ask Mobile Apps. then ask Pandora.  No problems

But I prefer Slacker Radio.  More song selections, less repeats.  

unfortunately my C-Max has been in the shop for the last 3 weeks because of the battery problem. I am using a Chevy Cruze rental and it sucks.

I have used Pandora (on my phone) using mysync.  I ask Mobile Apps. then ask Pandora.  No problems

But I prefer Slacker Radio.  More song selections, less repeats.  

unfortunately my C-Max has been in the shop for the last 3 weeks because of the battery problem. I am using a Chevy Cruze rental and it sucks.

I've tried this and haven't gotten it to work.  :(

• 1 month later...

I play Pandora in my SEL.  It works over bluetooth or plugging in the USB.  When you plug it into the USB, you can control it from the MFT screen. 

Never done anything special besides plug the iPhone 4s in the USB, start Pandora on the phone then go to the Entertainment screen and can control from there.  

I have used Pandora both by plugging into the USB and over bluetooth. When I have my phone plugged into the USB and Pandora is playing, I can control the basic functions on the MFT screen such as next, pause, and play but no thumbs up or thumbs down. In order to do the more advanced functions I have to do it on my phone. Also, the album art is only displayed when I have it hooked up to USB and is not displayed when on bluetooth.

• 2 weeks later...

I play Pandora in my SEL.  It works over bluetooth or plugging in the USB.  When you plug it into the USB, you can control it from the MFT screen. 

Never done anything special besides plug the iPhone 4s in the USB, start Pandora on the phone then go to the Entertainment screen and can control from there.  

I was under the understanding as well that if you bought the top of the line MFT package, you were rewarded by applink being disabled, possibly as a result of some backroom deal with Sirius.

Anyone with an android phone ever get applink working?

I want to say I've seen an official Ford checklist / spreadsheet that verifies no applink on MFT, but I may just be mis-remembering this based on other forums all agreeing they cannot get applink working on MFT.

If yours works, great for you, but that may be an anomaly- if it stops working after an update, please post that...

I've tried plugging in my Samsung Galaxy S2 in the usb, previously, it would say "unsupported device", (and that message, annoyingly, would repeatedly pop up on the screen, blocking everything) now it will play music directly from it, but navigating that is not worth the hassle/time, and I prefer to just play it over bluetooth.

Cannot find or command applink or get it to work on any of the apps that are listed on Fords website.

Tested; Kaliki, Pandora, Stitcher, Iheartradio. No go on any.

It's frustrating that Ford insists on their system controlling everything, wish they would take the more sensible path and let android be the brains, it's far more advanced.

While the MFT / Voice control is an amazing technological achievement, using it feels like going backwards in time 10-20 years vs. android or iphone. 

I feel for the tech geeks at ford, who probably are looked down upon by the "real men" car guys at ford, they probably are the red-headed stepchild department. 

But that doesn't change the fact that they're NEVER going to surpass Google or Apple at creating a usable OS for the car that compares favorably against those giants.

It's WELL PAST time for Ford to realize they are a CAR company, not a COMPUTER company.

BTW, just for the record and in the interest of developing accurate info / troubleshooting / diagnostics, my phone is "Rooted" (jailbroken in apple/iphone parlance) but with a stock OS, so that SHOULDN'T make a difference in how it interacts with Sync, but of course, there are always problems / idioSYNCrasies...

Edited by MacGyver

Please wait for a SYNC Agent to respond.
Chauntay says:
  Hello Eric. My name is Chauntay how can I help you?
Eric says:
  is applink disabled on My Ford Touch with voice control?
Eric says:
  I cannot get my Samsung Galaxy S2 to work with it
Chauntay says:
  I can assist you with SYNC.
Chauntay says:
  I apologize, Applink is not available for this radio system.
Eric says:
  why not?
Chauntay says:
  The feature has not been developed for MyFord Touch.
Eric says:
  So what you're saying is that because I u bought the top of the line MFT package, Ford screwed me by disabling applink
Eric says:
  in order to force me to use sirius or whatever
Eric says:
  why is it available on the lesser package systems?
Chauntay says:
  I apologize that the feature is not available for this system at this time. Our engineers are working to develop this for the MyFord Touch system.
Eric says:
  yeah right. do they provide any kind of ETA of when they will turn this feature on?
Eric says:
  silence
Eric says:
  silence
Eric says:
  silence
Eric says:
  long pregnant pause
Eric says:
  dramatic pause
Eric says:
  looong dramatic pause
Eric says:
  hellooo
Chauntay says:
  Would you prefer to call into our center for assistance.
Eric says:
  anybody there?
Eric says:
  no, I'd just like an answer, but I think I read it in between the lines; basically go F myself you already got my money, right?
Eric says:
  if they're "working on it" there must be some kind of ETA
Chauntay says:
  I apologize, again, for your frustration. We support the functionality of the system.
Chauntay says:
  This feature is not available for the system.
Eric says:
  like maybe 2014
Chauntay says:
  We have no additional information on the future availability at this time.
Eric says:
  ah, I see you're reverted to generic non-answers
Chauntay says:
  Is there anything I can assist you with?
Eric says:
  I get it, I'll stop wasting time here then

Edited by MacGyver

From what I hear, the trend is toward letting the smartphones control more, while the screen in the car becomes more like a monitor.  Who knows how long it will be before car designers will adopt this. 

I am a technical scuba instructor (Closed Circuit Rebreathers).  My main life support equipment is made by a scuba manufacturer that was smart enough to partner up with a top dive computer manufacturer, rather than developing a control unit computer on its own.  Car manufacturers would likely benefit by following a similar model.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

• 11 months later...

I really wish that I had read this forum before trading in my 2011 Fusion Hybrid with navigation for a 2014 C-MAX.

One of the reasons I traded the Fusion in was because Ford had not updated the firmware in several years.

I would never have bought the C-MAX with MFT if I knew it was not going to have the same features as the baseline SYNC.

I hope the reason they are not brining AppLink to MFT is because they are working on CarPlay instead. If not, I know a certain car manufacturer who is going to get a very poor survey response.