USB Thumb Drives

Okay, I haven't tried this on the C-Max, only my Escape.

I tried to put my music on a thumb drive (or whatever they call them now), but the Escape MFT wouldn't play them because it is not licensed to stream from that mechanism, or something like that.  So I put my music on my phone and called it a day.  But I see some of you are making this work.  How?

Yah, what PW said.  I have a Windows Vista computer, Vista automatically rips CDs if I put them in the drive.  Once I had all 100+ CDs ripped, I took a thumb driv, popped it in a USB port on my computer and simply copied all the folders (Windows made one folder per album) to the thumb drive.  I didn't have to format the drive or anything.

Once I popped the drive in the Max USB port, everything worked.  Well, MFT has to index the thumb drive, that took about a minute on my machine, but after that, Bob's your uncle.

I have no idea if it works the same way in the Mac/iTunes world.

Here's the very small 32GB thumb drive I bought from Amazon for my C-Max to hold my music and not protrude in the bin too much.  I also bought a 16GB one to get the order above $25 to get free shipping.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00812F7O8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by ArizonaEnergi

Here is the one I am using with the flip cover.  I flip the cover to the side for a low profile.  Works fine so far - 2400+ tunes, copied "My Music" containing all music folders in Windows Explorer of Windows 7.  It took 3 hours ish, did not track time.  Nick

http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Memory-Flash-Drive-PSF64GAUSBG/dp/B006M6DPE4/ref=pd_sim_pc_1/186-5219484-4559144

Ah.  That's probably the issue.  I put all my music into iTunes.  I do have a PC, but did iTunes because of the iPod Touch.

They are probably in Apples format (.m4a), you will need to convert them to MP3.  iTunes can do this, if you right click on the file, you will see a selection "create mp3 version".  It WILL create a duplicate of the song in your iTunes library.  To fix this, uncheck either all the aac files or the mp3 file and then when you sync your apple device tell it to only sync the checked files.  As for getting them on the usb drive, you will just have to copy ONLY the mp3 files.

Also, tell iTune to defalt to MP3 when importing to prevent iTunes from creating more files to convert.  Just my $0.02

• 2 months later...

This may be due to an update that happened after the previous posts, but I just loaded a bunch of songs from iTunes onto a USB drive and did not need to reformat them. The card includes both songs purchased from the iTunes Store and ones I imported from CDs, and both are playing just fine.

Just thought it might save someone a little time in putting together a music drive. I tested it by putting on just a few of both types and ran out to the garage to give it a try before loading up the whole thing. I do still need to work on better access to a playlist I made that is not showing up in the car as expected, but it is a folder issue I think, since the individual songs are all there and playable.

Thanks for the tip on the low-profile drive, Arizona--I was wondering how long before I break the one I'm using while reaching into the compartment.

there is a mini short USB drive like that SanDisk cruiser but instead of being straight at the end has a nub / bump so it's easier to remove when you want to add songs. if it's just straight you may need a tool to remove it.

see here

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-32GB-DataTraveler-DTMCK/dp/B009CMN3V0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2V5I7D2Y210VF&coliid=I17KONUZ825F91