Fuel economy gains of more efficient cars undone by increased travel, decreased occupancy

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/09/fuel-economy-gains-of-more-efficient-cars-undone-by-increased-tr/

Original article: http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013/03/sivak-20130306.html

"The good news is that the average fuel fuel economy of the entire US light-duty fleet improved by 40 percent over the past four decades (increasing from 13 miles per gallon to 21.6 mpg). The bad news is that Americans drive more, and with fewer passengers in each vehicle, undercutting the impact of the fuel economy gains."

America is the place where people spend money on fuel, consume a non-renewable resource, increase our dependence on OPEC countries, and pollute the air. While bragging online about how good their fuel economy is, as others enthusiastically cheer them on. As people like me bike to work and limit unnecessary driving to save money, and reduce oil consumption, dependency and pollution, but no one cares. Apologies for the snarky rant, but I am just in that mood right now. ;)

Yes, and no. There's limits to travel, and the biggest limit is not fuel costs but time. People may double their fuel economy by going to a nice hybrid, but they mostly aren't willing to double their commute times. So there's still a net reduction in fuel use, at least on average. Yes, historical trends do show increasing fuel use despite mild fuel economy gains, but I think there's limits to that, and going forward we're going to see more radical reductions in fuel consumption.

America is the place where people spend money on fuel, consume a non-renewable resource, increase our dependence on OPEC countries, and pollute the air. While bragging online about how good their fuel economy is, as others enthusiastically cheer them on. As people like me bike to work and limit unnecessary driving to save money, and reduce oil consumption, dependency and pollution, but no one cares. Apologies for the snarky rant, but I am just in that mood right now. ;)

Wow, that is kind of snarky, but hey, go for it you "bike to work person on an automotive forum while slamming everyone who drives an automobile"  :) 

I think the fuel economy gains have not been "undercut" exactly. I don't think people drive more miles because fuel efficiency gains.

I think people drive more miles because suburban sprawl and for most of the population a complete lack of viable alternatives.

These trends are being slowly reversed as cities are revitalized and there is an ongoing urbanization boom. Cities are building and providing more viable transit options. Bike and pedestrian infrastructure is being enhanced.

The younger generations are the first Americans in 8 decades who are not prioritizing driving licenses and car ownership.

The Internet has changed youth's needs, cars are no longer necessities to have a social life.

The younger generations are increasingly more urban, and more willing to walk and bike than ever before. My nephew and his friends don't own as many cars, they bike and train around and use car sharing services like ZipCar or Car2Go when they need wheels.

I think that electric cars are a good "first step" but we really need to have communities where people have OPTIONS ( the American way right? Freedom to choose? ). For some people or some trips - transit or bicycles can work, for others a car may be needed.