Weird Thumping Noise from C Max

AudenHoggart

We've had our C Max about 3 weeks and are on our first extended road trip.  So I really like the way it drives.  I'm getting about 37 mpg which I regard as OK for the initial period.

Today, however, we had a very unsettling experience.  We were driving down the Natchez Trace, about ten miles from the end in Natchez, when we pulled onto a side road to see a large Indian mound.  My wife took some pictures from the car and then we headed on to Natchez.  Once we got back on the main road and accelerate,probably only to about 50 mph, the car started making a thumping noise that seemed to be coming from the rear..  It's the type of noise I'd associate with a flat tire but it didn't feel like a flat tire.  I thought maybe a branch was caught under the car, pulled over to the side and found nothing.

I immediately thought something was wrong with the battery, but all the gauges were normal and I was getting no warnings.  Luckily, it was still afternoon on a weekday, so I drove straight to the Ford dealer in Natchez.  Along the way I realized the rear left window was open (and I'd probably opened it inadvertently when I opened the window for my wife to take pictures.)  When I closed the window the thumping went away, but it returned when I reopened it.

When I got to the Ford dealer, the salesperson laughed and said he's had the same thing on a number of Ford models.  With the window open and the air circulation system operating it sets up something in the air circulation flow in the car and makes that noise.  He also said it makes his wife light-headed and my wife said the same thing!

So, at least for now, everything is cured and car seems to be running fine.  This is the first I've  heard of anything like this.  Does anyone have any comparable experiences?  Does it sound like something else that needs attention?

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...