EV mode driving maximizing

edman951

How much EV driving are most people getting?

What are the tricks to get as much EV driving?

City driving

It's hard to keep the car in EV mode without causing a trafic jam lol on laceration.

I've been using Empower mode to see the EV to ICE threshold. and drive as long as possible in EV.

Hard to accelerate in EV, So sometime i take off EV then to ICE to about 25 mph, then can back-off to get into EV and keep accelerating to about 35 mph in the city.

I never take-off in EV, unless I'm close to my home in EV+.  I accelerate briskly (but usually still slower than all the other impatient folks around me), and then attempt to maintain my speed by using EV.  I also try to only use EV when I can maintain my speed at the first notch or half-way my total EV potential.  I hardly ever use EV on the freeway, as I'm normally over 65.

Wow, how we differ in our driving philosphy zhackwyatt. I always take off in EV. Up to 10mph, you're always keeping up with the next guy and then kick in ICE or if no one is behind you, EV to 25 and then kick in ICE. Imo, zero to 10 is always the time when the most gas is guzzled, I am eliminating that from my equation and the batts have a ton of torque to move our 3500lb beasts so use it -, works for me but may not for someone else in different traffic conditions.

edman - I P&G so if its 35mph, P to 40 and let it down to 35 and start again, but watch the roads you want to glide down any downslope. I get ridiculous MPGs in my 8 mile runs in the flat valley like going from Galpin Ford in Van Nuys to North Hollywood, easily 50+ MPGs with 0.0 or 0.1 gas used = thats how nutz it is with my Maxine. Gotta  :wub2: her and yes, I more than keep up with traffic. 

PS I had fun letting loose Maxine against a Camaro this evening...yellow baby.... :rockon:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Wow, how we differ in our driving philosphy zhackwyatt. I always take off in EV. Up to 10mph, you're always keeping up with the next guy and then kick in ICE or if no one is behind you, EV to 25 and then kick in ICE. Imo, zero to 10 is always the time when the most gas is guzzled, I am eliminating that from my equation and the batts have a ton of torque to move our 3500lb beasts so use it -, works for me but may not for someone else in different traffic conditions.

edman - I P&G so if its 35mph, P to 40 and let it down to 35 and start again, but watch the roads you want to glide down any downslope. I get ridiculous MPGs in my 8 mile runs in the flat valley like going from Galpin Ford in Van Nuys to North Hollywood, easily 50+ MPGs with 0.0 or 0.1 gas used = thats how nutz it is with my Maxine. Gotta  :wub2: her and yes, I more than keep up with traffic. 

PS I had fun letting loose Maxine against a Camaro this evening...yellow baby.... :rockon:

I can always improve :)  0 to 10 in EV, 10 to 35-40 in ICE, maintain in EV, I might try it.

Edited by zhackwyatt

As much time in ev as you can. I set the cruise, once the batts are charged I bump the cruise down to push it into ev. Once ev is used up I bump the cruise up a few. Once the battery is charged I repeat the process I try to use my cruise when Possible. I don't have to concentrate so much on the read out.

I have an 8 mile commute on city arterial streets, and attempt to stay in EV as much as I can.  These streets have 45 mph limits, so I will leave a stop in EV is possible, then pulse and glide using ICE up to 48 or so, then drop off and let EV keep me at 45.  If not too congested, will use ECO Cruise. Some days I get tailgated by people, and will stay in ICE operation to be faster.  At pushing $4 a gallon, I am ok with as much EV as I can.

I kind of wish I had Energi range of 21 miles or so, would stay in EV the whole way....but no Energis available when I purchased.

This mornings numbers were 49.1 overall, with 6 of the 8 miles being EV or Regen.

Doing errands a couple days ago and on internal city streets, I managed a 65 mpg driving about 12 miles, but I was lucky there was little traffic around me.

I have an 8 mile commute on city arterial streets, and attempt to stay in EV as much as I can.  These streets have 45 mph limits, so I will leave a stop in EV is possible, then pulse and glide using ICE up to 48 or so, then drop off and let EV keep me at 45.  If not too congested, will use ECO Cruise. Some days I get tailgated by people, and will stay in ICE operation to be faster.  At pushing $4 a gallon, I am ok with as much EV as I can.

I kind of wish I had Energi range of 21 miles or so, would stay in EV the whole way....but no Energis available when I purchased.

This mornings numbers were 49.1 overall, with 6 of the 8 miles being EV or Regen.

Doing errands a couple days ago and on internal city streets, I managed a 65 mpg driving about 12 miles, but I was lucky there was little traffic around me.

The 35mph and 45mph street is the CMax's forte. I too wish for bigger batteries and its the 1st thing I told Ford enginees at the Irvine gather - just a tad bigger without the bulk of the Energiy battery so I have at least 5 miles of EV and can charge more. Yesterday I was full with batts 1/2 way down Box Canyon - argh, no more charging.....no time to google map it but it was bliss to be all EV for about 3/4 of the leg between the 118 and 101 thru Box Canyon/Valley Vista - a route I normallly would not take with a gas only engine car but for the hybrid its bliss  :wub2: 

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

Yes, an Energi would likely have been a good choice for your commute wamba2000.  We have no daily commute but on average travel between 20 - 40 miles when we go out at least once a day and sometimes twice a day.  When I looked at the Energi, the payback was just too long plus for longer trips the extra weight likely represents a FE penalty.  I figured I'd have to average about 70 mpg with an energi for an acceptable payback period.  There was at least one Energi available which I could have purchased at X Plan pricing even though the dealer had a significant market adjustment on the car (probably why it was available).

Yesterday afternoon we put 40.0 miles on the car, got 46.7 mpg, used a/c (around 83*F), and had 19.6 EV miles.  I took it "easy" on the Superstition Freeway (62-65 mph GPS) generally accelerating to 65 going up the overpasses and using EV on the down slope for a mile or so until the next overpass. Hence the nearly 50% EV.  If I run faster than about 65 mph, I have very few EV miles.  On the arterial streets and US 60 around Gold Canyon, it's difficult to P&G because of traffic and traffic lights so I generally get significantly less than 50% EV.  

My overall EV miles are 35.6%. It might be interesting to tabulate ones lifetime EV% vs lifetime FE and plot on a graph.

This morning, 49mpg, for a 20 mile commute, majority over 65 mph, A/C set at 70 degress, and it was 70 outside.  (Also on the Superstition Freeway, one day we may pass each other Plus 3!)

My theory with the acceleration on the streets is mpg is all about distance.  So if I use gas to get up to speed in a short distance I'll have the EV to maintain my speed over longer distance.  Otherwise, I would be using a large portion of the battery just to get up to speed and not enough to maintain my speed for as far.  Of course most of the time in the C-Max, when you accelerate the electric and gas both work together.

Thank you fellow Phoenix C-Max owners.  Plus3, I also looked at the payback for the Energi vs Hybrid, it did not make $$ sense with the added cost of a charging station, even with credits.  I do like the EV mode so just wish the range was longer......

I have also noticed that since temps have risen, EV mode is more prevalent.

I have a N Phx-Scottsdale commute, so likely won't see you on the Superstition!  My 8 mile morning commute was 56.1 mpg today, yahoo!  Just went over 1300 miles and haven't needed to buy my third tank of fuel yet.  I will run it down to the warning light comes on, to gauge how much is left.  I have over 450 miles so far with just under 1/4 left on the tank

Edited by wamba2000

. . .

Yesterday afternoon we put 40.0 miles on the car, got 46.7 mpg, used a/c (around 83*F), and had 19.6 EV miles.  I took it "easy" on the Superstition Freeway (62-65 mph GPS) generally accelerating to 65 going up the overpasses and using EV on the down slope for a mile or so until the next overpass. Hence the nearly 50% EV.  If I run faster than about 65 mph, I have very few EV miles.  On the arterial streets and US 60 around Gold Canyon, it's difficult to P&G because of traffic and traffic lights so I generally get significantly less than 50% EV.  

My overall EV miles are 35.6%. It might be interesting to tabulate ones lifetime EV% vs lifetime FE and plot on a graph.

One of the screens that comes up on the left when I turn off my car shows lifetime EV miles and lifetime regen miles.  Are total lifetime EV miles equal to the lifetime EV miles figure OR to lifetime EV miles plus lifetime regen miles?

Over 4525 miles, we have 1847 EV miles [40.8%] and 288 regen miles [6.4%] - so is our total percentage EV miles 40.8% or 47.2%  [40.8 + 6.4 = 47.2]?

I think the total percentage EV miles is 40.8%, but I'm not sure.

I think 40.8% is supported by page 105 of the owner's manual which says:  

• Distance - The distance travelled on battery power only (EV distance)

and regen distance are displayed. Regen distance is the estimated

range gained from energy recaptured through regenerative braking.

Someone needs to make a Battery pack add-on that you can place in the truck.

Kinda like a spare tank that you use when you don't need the room in the truck.

And want more EV capacity.

I love EV driving :)

I agree, that would be awesome.  I'd like a modular version so the total weight of the modules could be more than I would want to pick up at once and even better a battery add-on integrated into an optional donut spare tire.

I would love to add some battery power when needed.  I'm disappointed in my EV miles; however, I find many of the tricks to getting more EV miles exhausting.  All my pain and injuries are in my right lower back and hip, so trying to control my foot - lightly - is difficult.  

Plus3, I also looked at the payback for the Energi vs Hybrid, it did not make $$ sense with the added cost of a charging station, even with credits.

Why do you need the "added cost of a charging station"? The car comes with a charger.

With the $3751 credit, our Energi was barely more than the Hybrid model.

figured I'd have to average about 70 mpg with an energi for an acceptable payback period.

That's not out of the realm of possibility.

Before I started skiing every weekend and throwing in some 400 mile trips - I was in the high 80s, low 90s. Without those road trips I would be breaking 100.

And gas is only getting more expensive.

There are more and more charging stations around too...

Edited by valkraider

I really tried to justify an Energi. In my analysis I assumed about 1/3 - 1/2 of my mileage would be longer distance trips (4-5 k per year), so that pulls the overall mileage down for the Energi.  Also, most charging stations in the Phoenix metro area aren't where we frequent. So, any RT over 20 miles or so would lower FE.

Also, I'm about to ink a deal to add solar PV (I had it on my previous house).  So, in analyzing a PV and Energi purchase, I looked at PV systems with and without the charging load of the Energi. Bottom line, the Energi load made little difference in overall cost savings (PV electric and gasoline benefits) other than if I increased the size of the PV system, I would be better hedged against  electricity cost increases.  There's generally a "sweet spot" PV size where the overall PV return increases until the "sweet spot" and then decrease beyond that point.  Although the overall return was still good beyond the sweet spot up until about 120% of my total energy usage, the incremental return drops generally because of the net metering provisions and buyback rates for excess generation. Also offsetting off-peak load with PV doesn't add to the benefits as much as offsetting on-peak load.  Of course this is all dependent on ones local utility tariffs and rates.  My previous utility PV net metering and buyback rates are significantly better than my current utility.  

One of the screens that comes up on the left when I turn off my car shows lifetime EV miles and lifetime regen miles.  Are total lifetime EV miles equal to the lifetime EV miles figure OR to lifetime EV miles plus lifetime regen miles?

Over 4525 miles, we have 1847 EV miles [40.8%] and 288 regen miles [6.4%] - so is our total percentage EV miles 40.8% or 47.2%  [40.8 + 6.4 = 47.2]?

I think the total percentage EV miles is 40.8%, but I'm not sure.

I think 40.8% is supported by page 105 of the owner's manual which says:  

• Distance - The distance travelled on battery power only (EV distance)

and regen distance are displayed. Regen distance is the estimated

range gained from energy recaptured through regenerative braking.

I was thinking about this some more when I was driving this morning. 

When energy is taken from the hybrid battery to move the car in EV mode, there is no way to know if that energy went into the battery via regen braking or when the ICE was running. 

This also means that regen miles (as described on pg 105 of the owner's manual) must be estimated indirectly based on the amount of energy that goes into the hybrid battery from regen braking. 

So my total EV miles are 1847 EV miles [40.8%] - this figure includes approx 288 regen miles [6.4%].

I think the earlier suggestion to collect some data on miles driven, lifetime mpg, lifetime EV miles and lifetime regen miles ws a good idea.  I will try to put an organized list of these questions together and post it a new thread. 

I understand some have strong feeling about buying domestically (for many reasons) but if our elected officials choose to allow international trade with countries or trade on certain commodities, I see no reason not to participate.  Globalization is here and I believe we must defend our interests in such although some may believe isolationism is better.  I do appreciate the service of all in defending our interests around the world. :)  

if our elected officials choose to allow international trade with countries or trade on certain commodities, I see no reason not to participate.

My point is that it needs to be considering when thinking about costs.

So when considering the price of an Energi, and the cost of fuel and break-even periods - I think it is important to consider the full costs.

We can't continue to hide the costs of our decisions.

Securing the oil supply chain has a definite cost to the tax-payer. So does environmental remediation. Americans are sheltered from considering those numbers but instead focus on only the retail price of gas at the pump.

Every mile driven on electricity reduces those external costs.

Even the dirtiest coal powered electricity has less of an environmental impact than petroleum.

Electricity generated by solar, or wind, or geothermal has almost no national security costs compared to petroleum. Electricity produced by coal or natural gas also has almost no national security price tag. Nuclear power commands a small national security price tag. Petroleum carries a massive national security cost.

That's all I am saying.

We can pay for occupations in the Middle East, or we can pay for a bigger battery in the car.

I am not creating an ideological or political issue - more a financial one. Everything costs money. If we had to pay the full price of what gasoline actually costs us - we would be paying easily $10 a gallon if not more.

But conservatively lets just say that there is a 25% cost to securing and cleaning up the petroleum supply lines. Gasoline goes up almost a dollar a gallon then.

Does that make any sense?

I was thinking about this some more when I was driving this morning. 

When energy is taken from the hybrid battery to move the car in EV mode, there is no way to know if that energy went into the battery via regen braking or when the ICE was running. 

This also means that regen miles (as described on pg 105 of the owner's manual) must be estimated indirectly based on the amount of energy that goes into the hybrid battery from regen braking. 

So my total EV miles are 1847 EV miles [40.8%] - this figure includes approx 288 regen miles [6.4%].

I think the earlier suggestion to collect some data on miles driven, lifetime mpg, lifetime EV miles and lifetime regen miles ws a good idea.  I will try to put an organized list of these questions together and post it a new thread. 

Yeah, I think the regen figure is basically how many miles less you would have gotten in EV if the car had no regen ability at all.

• 5 months later...

Software/Chip mod for added EV+ capability? 

Hi everyone, after driving an early 1980's vehicle since 2006, we are finally new CMAX owners and we love our car. One thing I've noticed is that even with a very gentle foot on the accelerator, it seems quite difficult to keep the car in EV mode even under relatively flat road conditions. When in EV+ mode, by contrast, the car will allow some acceptably quick acceleration. I find the experience of driving in EV+ mode to be a lot of fun, and I wish there was a way to keep it in that mode more often, I fantasize that a method could be developed whereby we are able to toggle EV+ mode on/off at will. 

I read in the user's manual that the car was designed to try to keep its batteries in a medium-charged state, meaning that when the charge gets below 1/2 way, the ICE will kick on to charge, and when above 1/2 charge, the car will allow more EV discharge. 

Has anyone heard of a CPU mod or chip mod (similar to the CPU modifications import tuners make to their cars for added power) that can be done to the CMAX to cause it to enter EV+ mode more often? Or a mod whereby a user can select EV+ mode at will?

I don't know what kind of effect doing so would have on the batteries and their longevity, however it seems to me that being able to provoke the EV+ mode more often would make better use of the car's EV capabilities and certainly engender better MPG. 

Another thing I've noticed is that EV+ mode ONLY comes on near my home. It hasn't come on near any other location, such as my job my son's school, and other frequent destinations. I read that the car is supposed to learn my "frequent destinations" within 2 - 4 weeks, but after about 2 months of ownership, so far it's only "learned" my home. 

Thanks all!