Engine knocking

jkngale

Hey C-Maxians,

This morning I got up to move Ceecee when the plow came. We're having a fairly significant storm, and there was snow up over the hood. I brushed it all off all around, got in, and turned her on. No surprise the ICE kicked right in - but with this very disconcerting knocking sound. About six-eight knocks / second, strong enough that I could feel the vibration all through the car. I got out and it sounded literally like a gremlin knocking in the engine compartment. It started getting quieter, and then went away after a bit - probably 2-3 minutes.

I called the dealer - they suggested it could be snow or ice on a belt. But then they also said this C-Max is the only one in the province, so they really didn't know much about it. Monitor the situation, and if it persists bring her in. 

What do you think? Anyone else have this experience?

I haven't had any extremely cold temps, yet I have not had any issues with sounds like that.  From my understanding though, I don't think there are any belts on our car.  So, it would be really odd if you had that issue.  I personally would monitor it since it went away.  If it happened again, I would take our my cell phone and make a recording of it and take it in to Ford to check it out.

High efficiency fuel-injected engines can sound like rattling cans when cold. I had a MINI engine that did that consistently, and would stop rattling when warm. Rattling that persists could be a problem with the timing chain, especially if the sound is like metal banging against metal.

Since it goes away when the engine warms up, you can probably ignore it.