loud noise at start up, dealer says I need a whole new transmission

Dchichizola

2014 c max non-plug in. 160k, had it since 120k.  runs and drives great! still gets almost 40 mpg.  took it in for recall and while it was there asked about the loud whining noise when the ICE starts up.  After 2-3 days was told "there's no fluid in the trans due to a case half leak, and the whole trans needs replacement" .....at a cost of almost

$10k!!!!! Now I understand stand auto-trans and am unsure how it can be "out of fluid" but still running and driving ok.  Also, how can it be the trans when it makes the noise when not moving?

Thanks in advance, I really love me car and don't want to sell it.

Edited by Dchichizola

• Dchichizola changed the title to loud noise at start up, dealer says I need a whole new transmission
On 12/3/2022 at 12:41 PM, Dchichizola said:

2014 c max non-plug in. 160k, had it since 120k.  runs and drives great! still gets almost 40 mpg.  took it in for recall and while it was there asked about the loud whining noise when the ICE starts up.  After 2-3 days was told "there's no fluid in the trans due to a case half leak, and the whole trans needs replacement" .....at a cost of almost

$10k!!!!! Now I understand stand auto-trans and am unsure how it can be "out of fluid" but still running and driving ok.  Also, how can it be the trans when it makes the noise when not moving?

Thanks in advance, I really love me car and don't want to sell it.

Unfortunately that sounds like one of the failure modes seen on these. There's a transfer gear in the transmission that can rub against and eat a hole in the side of the transmission casing.

These are not your standard auto trans. These are more akin to a manual transmission when considering what the trans fluid is there for: Simply lube and cooling. There's no hydraulics involved to where a loss of fluid will cause it to stop functioning (at least straight away).

Also even with the car sitting still in Park, if the ICE is spinning it will be spinning said transfer gear in the trans which then transfers that motion to the starter/generator motor. There's no traditional neutral gear in these where the ICE just spins on its own. If the ICE is running, it is doing so intentionally either for propulsion or charging the HVB. If it's not needed, it shuts off. So it's always going to interact with the transmission when it is operating.

Ok, thanks for that info. That's very helpful!!! I have an appointment at an AAMCO this week to get pricing on a new trans, re-man trans, and a used trans.  Hoping for the best.  I'm assuming this isn't something one would tackle at home?  I'm confident in my skills over the years, but the work space looks so tiny its daunting.

lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2022 at 2:41 PM, cr08 said:

Unfortunately that sounds like one of the failure modes seen on these. There's a transfer gear in the transmission that can rub against and eat a hole in the side of the transmission casing.

Slight correction: the transfer shaft is directly geared to the differential so only turns when the car is moving.  When sitting still with the ICE running, the only things spinning are the planetary gears and one of the electric motors (and I guess the oil pump) so your sound would be from one of those.  If yours is truly out of fluid, its more likely due to a leak as described in TSB 15-0174.  Read about it here.  Maybe fill it with fluid and see what happens - see where the leak is???