Stupid Question -- How do you turn it off?

VirginiaRick

It was my understanding that the proper procedure for turning off your C-Max was to:

1)  Shift to P.

2)  Step on the brake.

3)  Press the Start/Stop button.

I just noticed in the owner's manual (page 174) they don't say anything about stepping on the brake.  Is that unnecessary, or am I inadvertently leaving some current-drawing devices on?

And, BTW, it just makes me want to shake my head and sigh, when the owner's manual has to spend five (5) pages telling you how to start and stop your engine. :banghead:

I would say that I only push the brake pedal about half of the time when turning it off. In the mornings I spend a few minutes sitting in my car before getting out and turning it off and I never step on the brake to do it. I haven't noticed anything that stays on affter a minute or two. I spent a couple minutes watching the car one day after I got out and locked the door to make sure all of the gizmos and lights turned off.

I understand your frustration with the manual though... I am in the military and some of the manuals that we use have several paragraphs on things like turning around the correct way or how to tie your boots. I chalk it up to the same reason my wife's hair drier has a warning that says I can't use it in the shower.

I did, however, make myself feel pretty dumb when for the first day or two I couldn't figure out why the car wouldn't start when I pushed the button. Like every other car I have ever driven I had to push on the brake. I was just so caught up with the technology I forgot something that simple. Doh!

There are some who feel that to avoid a problem with a dead battery it is important not to put your foot on the brake when turning the C-Max off.  I read the instructions when I bought the car and saw they didn't say to put your foot on the brake for turning off--so I never put my foot on the brake when turning off the car.  No dead battery so far.

When shutting downing any car including my C-MAX, I always step on the brake, shift into park, put the emergency brake on, and then turn the car off.  My foot is always on the brake until I put the emergency brake on and then generally off the brake when I push the button.

X2

18K miles no battery problems.

A few yrs ago the parking pawl was the diameter of a pencil.

Today they're a little bigger on some cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_pawl