I wonder what would happen if

zalusky

You know I was thinking about the Prius effect and now the CMAX effect where you get instant mileage and average mileage feedback.

That feedback causes us to drive more efficiently almost like a video game.

I think it would be interesting if the government created a regulation where all cars regardless of technology gave that sort of instant feedback how that might change driving behavior and perhaps save a lot of fuel.

It seems to me that when you don't have that feedback you sort of pay attention to other things like aggressive drivers and such stuff but with that feedback I find myself staying in the slow lane and not wanting zig and zag.

Am I nuts or do you think it would dramatically change beahvior just like the idea of video games in urinals is starting to do.

If it was required to have that sort of display, I think you would have a large number of people competing to get the worst possible score. Stick it to the man!

The whole car is practically filled with regulatory stuff so I don't think we need to go down the political route here.  I am thinking more about instant feedback and how it might affect the masses.

Interesting question. My wife and I both try to take the C-max out when we go anywhere, but she generally gets it the most (okay, she wins all the time) so I do end up driving the old minivan mostly.

I have noticed that I "surf" the terrain now when driving the minivan, a direct carry-over from the driving style i picked up in the C-max. I can tell I am getting way better economy in the minivan now, because it is taking forever to get through this tank. There is no read-out in this bare-bones van at all. odometer and trip meter is all i get, so i have to wait until i fuel up to confirm that my changed driving style has made a difference.

I think if this van would give me as much info as the c-max, i would definitely find the sweet spots and use them to save money.

You know I was thinking about the Prius effect and now the CMAX effect where you get instant mileage and average mileage feedback.

I think it would be interesting if the government created a regulation where all cars regardless of technology gave that sort of instant feedback how that might change driving behavior and perhaps save a lot of fuel.

It seems to me that when you don't have that feedback you sort of pay attention to other things like aggressive drivers and such stuff but with that feedback I find myself staying in the slow lane and not wanting zig and zag.

Am I nuts or do you think it would dramatically change beahvior just like the idea of video games in urinals is starting to do.

That's an interesting idea but the fact is many newer cars already have that feature.

My 2011 Jeep has a gauge that show's the optimal fuel and power level.

Like the C-max it is a painfully slow acceleration to keep it in the optimal range.

What I would like to see is a button on the steering that would automatically accelerate the car

at the optimal fuel/power savings.  Its just to hard to try and feather the gas pedal, watch the gauge

and the road at the same time and it gets old after a while.

Before I bought a C-max I had to live with the millage my old car was capable of.  Now I can influence the millage I get by the way I drive and have the car's technology to help me.  I find that I am trying to get the best millage I can.  Should this be required is another question.  I think people who care about the millage issue will gravitate to fuel efficient cars like the C-Max.  Others will buy cars for whatever reason that motivates them. 

The dealer gave me a crummy analog loaner car today and I was thinking exactly the same thing you are.

You could always start a petition.

EDIT: I should learn to read better.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/

Edited by Max Power

"I don't think we need to go down the political route here."

"So I created an online whitehouse petition."

I'm just saying there are people who will resist anything that any authority figure thrusts upon them. Even things that are obvious good ideas like wearing seat belts or motorcycle helmets.

Interesting question. My wife and I both try to take the C-max out when we go anywhere, but she generally gets it the most (okay, she wins all the time) so I do end up driving the old minivan mostly.

I have noticed that I "surf" the terrain now when driving the minivan, a direct carry-over from the driving style i picked up in the C-max. I can tell I am getting way better economy in the minivan now, because it is taking forever to get through this tank. There is no read-out in this bare-bones van at all. odometer and trip meter is all i get, so i have to wait until i fuel up to confirm that my changed driving style has made a difference.

I think if this van would give me as much info as the c-max, i would definitely find the sweet spots and use them to save money.

Ryan, my husband is the same way. He recently got a *new to him* used mini van to drive to/from work. It was slightly newer than his previous one and has a trip computer that shows current mpgs. Because of what I'm reporting with the C-Max, he's started watching the mpgs on the van, slightly reducing his speed, and proudly reporting his MPGs each day. This is a guy who drove 5 above the speed limit and passed everyone he could. Now he leaves a few minutes earlier for work, is a little more leisurely about the drive, and getting better mileage because of it. I don't think any of this would have happened had it not been for me getting the C-Max and him seeing what could be saved with more sensible driving.

I don't think more regulation is any way to go...private companies invent/create technology based on demand not cause the government says so. Car companies are getting more in tune with their customers which is a BIG reason for the Irvine event last Feb. Hybrid driving is so different, the mindset is different.. no longer fanging to your destination, with gas prices looking like it's staying at $4 or more and most of us making less money.. what u can save even a few dollars makes a world of difference for most families... it does for mine. Keep innovating companies and get the government the hell out... :rockon: