Inverter coolant reservoir cap leaking

Lacienega

• 1 month later...

Hello, a few things to note: You did not state your year & mileage which may have bearing on problem. As part of regular upkeep Ford recommends changing coolant at 100K or 6years use, to replace/refresh coolant anti-freeze/anti-boil components that wear out after time or heat-cold cycles. A search here will give you the how-to instructions [I'm too much of a PC idiot to post a link, sorry]. In my experience, most if not all coolant tanks marking for MAX level is pretty much a hard & fast one & will overflow every time you may put in even a little extra. Also your driving conditions may be called as harsh due to things totally out of your control that are favorable to higher heat conditions [outside temps, traffic. for example]. With this in mind, you may want to keep an extra eye on your transmission fluid, level & condition, as extra heat may have negative effects. If your mechanic or repair shop tells you your transmission is a sealed unit [as the local Firestone did me] don't walk, RUN away. THANKS for the read.

Hi, it's a 2014 SEL and has 150 k miles now, but the leak was noticeable already for many years. I changed the coolant and transmission fluid recently myself. I just don't understand how it get's out since there is no high pressure in the inverter coolant system and I never overfilled it. I never saw the level all the way to the top after a long drive when it should be really hot

I actually noticed this on our '13 a long long time ago when we had her.  There's a way to minimize this loss, I think I posted this on the old Energi forum.  The cap is snap on if I recall correctly, but once it passes the initial "snap" there is a little distance before it bottoms out.  If you push it on just past the snap, then lift it upwards against that ridge, it minimizes the seepage.  Try it and get back to us...

EDIT-  First thing I did was buy a replacement cap.  That resulted in no change...

Edited by jzchen

I believe it is common knowledge that the ICE coolant reaches it's highest temp shortly after shut-down. Water pump & cooling fan stopped. This is on a properly operating system. It would be very interesting to know or have some idea of when or what factors into the highest temps on the inverter/converter side. Is it the same as an ICE or is it during heavy discharge/recharge cycles. Hopefully one how the resident gurus [& I mean that respectfully] can chime in for the rest of us to benefit. Thanks for the read.