Confused about "average MPG" reading

reedmother

What is the "average mpg" number in the center of engage and enlighten that is always on? Right now, that number says 32.9. What does that number represent?  It can't be lifetime since I've reset my lifetime mpg and when I turn off the car it says 38.8 for lifetime average.  That 32.9 number has been creeeping up a bit, but it doesn't change when I re-set the lifetime mpg.   I know it's not trip average or instantaious mileage or lifetime average, so what is it? It doesn't vary - other than going up bit by bit over time.  I'm sick of looking at it......

On the left display, cursor down to the one that says "fuel economy" and click OK.  This will display that 32.9 figure you hate.  Push and hold "OK" till the number resets.  It won't affect your other mpg totals like lifetime, trip 1 or 2.

I'm using trip 1 for each tank, trip 2 as a separate lifetime, and use the Fuel Economy figure for trips inside of each tank.  For example, when I want to see the efficiency of each leg of my commute.

Edited by C-MAXER

Yay!  Thanks so much C-maxer!  I'm ready for a high number there now that I've got 3K on the car and warmer weather is here.  I still don't get what that number is supposed to measure, however.......

Your welcome.  Hey it measures whatever you want it to measure.  For instance, yesterday I did a long 400 mile road trip and reset it at the start to measure just the trip and thus not have to reset my trip 1 or 2.

What is the "average mpg" number in the center of engage and enlighten that is always on? Right now, that number says 32.9. What does that number represent?  It can't be lifetime since I've reset my lifetime mpg and when I turn off the car it says 38.8 for lifetime average.  That 32.9 number has been creeeping up a bit, but it doesn't change when I re-set the lifetime mpg.   I know it's not trip average or instantaious mileage or lifetime average, so what is it? It doesn't vary - other than going up bit by bit over time.  I'm sick of looking at it......

If you have never reset your "average mpg" number then it is telling your your lifetime mpg even if you have reset your "lifetime mpg"  (the one that appears after the trip statistics appear when you turn your car off).

Once you reset your "average mpg" then it will tell you your average mpg since the last reset.  You can use this to get your mpg after a fill up or your mpg on a segment of a trip or your mpg on a trip, but all it tells yo is the mpg - no other info like you get on the trip odometers.

On the left display, cursor down to the one that says "fuel economy" and click OK.  This will display that 32.9 figure you hate.  Push and hold "OK" till the number resets.  It won't affect your other mpg totals like lifetime, trip 1 or 2.

I'm using trip 1 for each tank, trip 2 as a separate lifetime, and use the Fuel Economy figure for trips inside of each tank.  For example, when I want to see the efficiency of each leg of my commute.

The avg mpg appears on several of the left display screens.  You can reset avg mpg by pressing and holding OK on any of the screens on which it appears, except for My View.

I have also been using trip odo 2 as a separate lifetime counter.  I have 5000+ miles on my car so I know that the trip odo goes at least to 9,999.  Some of the other statistics that appear on the trip odo only go up to 999 and then they restart from zero.

The avg mpg appears on several of the left display screens.  You can reset avg mpg by pressing and holding OK on any of the screens on which it appears, except for My View.

Ahh.  Yes, I use "My View" almost exclusively and discovered I couldn't reset it there.

Until it runs out, I'm using trip 2 as a true lifetime of the car because (thanks to reading this forum) I did a master reset of the lifetime readings the first time I got in the car.  So it truly reflects MY lifetime of driving the car.   Before purchase, It had about 40 miles on it with horrible sub-20's mpg so trip 2 will always lower than lifetime.

Edited by C-MAXER

Ahh.  Yes, I use "My View" almost exclusively and discovered I couldn't reset it there.

Until it runs out, I'm using trip 2 as a true lifetime of the car because (thanks to reading this forum) I did a master reset of the lifetime readings the first time I got in the car.  So it truly reflects MY lifetime of driving the car.   Before purchase, It had about 40 miles on it with horrible sub-20's mpg so trip 2 will always lower than lifetime.

I have not done a lifetime reset.  When we got our car it had something like 130 miles @ 33mpg.  We now have 5,500 miles on the car with a lifetime mpg  of 40.5, so the initial 130 initial miles @ 33 mpg is reducing the lifetime mpg by 0.2 mpg, about 0.5%. 

Very good info here.  So I think the car has 5 mpg figures that calculate averages over different intervals:

Average MPG (the one that appears in most left screens), resetable at any time (is there a mile limt?).

Lifetime MPG - no mile limit, manual reset.

Trip 1 MPG - resets automatically at some mileage point (999 or 9999?), or manual reset.

Trip 2 MPG -  (same as Trip 1).

MPG summary when car turned off - resets with every Engine OFF press.

Am I correct?

Very good info here.  So I think the car has 5 mpg figures that calculate averages over different intervals:

Average MPG (the one that appears in most left screens), resetable at any time (is there a mile limt?).

Lifetime MPG - no mile limit, manual reset.

Trip 1 MPG - resets automatically at some mileage point (999 or 9999?), or manual reset.

Trip 2 MPG -  (same as Trip 1).

MPG summary when car turned off - resets with every Engine OFF press.

Am I correct?

If you're using fuelly like many of us, that has an MPG too...so that's 6, too much for us mere simpletons like me. KISS folks, jus make sure it works for u  :rockon:

By the way, funny enuf, my lifetime concurs with the fuelly more or less, about 0.5 difference...woopie doo  ;)