New Phone...un-SYNC.....reSYNC?

Ok, so last Thursday my Droid 4 appeared to die. I say *appeared* because when I was on the phone w/Verizon tech support, we couldn't revive it. So, because it was still under warranty , they sent out a replacement, which arrived today. In the meantime, the phone has worked ok, only ok, because it seems to not have the battery life it should. Anyway, the replacement is here, and I'm debating the trauma involved in unSYNCing and reSYNCing. Has anyone else done this?

Ok, so last Thursday my Droid 4 appeared to die. I say *appeared* because when I was on the phone w/Verizon tech support, we couldn't revive it. So, because it was still under warranty , they sent out a replacement, which arrived today. In the meantime, the phone has worked ok, only ok, because it seems to not have the battery life it should. Anyway, the replacement is here, and I'm debating the trauma involved in unSYNCing and reSYNCing. Has anyone else done this?

Not a big deal.  Delete the old phone entry then add the new one.  I believe I had to go back "home" a couple of times but basically a simple process.

If you run into problems with the new phone, you can try a master rest and start fresh.  Personally, I'd go this route.

http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/perform-master-reset-sync-myford-touch#reload

But what do you lose with a master reset?  Navigation favorites?  Radio presets?  

I have downloaded this "reboot" procedure that doesn't delete any of my data.  

http://outofmytouch.com/reboot.html

To me it's worth trying this first for any MFT issue.

Edited by Rob

But what do you lose with a master reset? 

First sentence says (bold emphasis is mine):  "If you experience problems with SYNC® with MyFord Touch®, you can perform a master reset. This process erases all stored data, such as call history, text message information, and previously paired phones, and restores your system to factory settings.27"

Computer wise I grew up on the windows platform and I learned over and over again that it's best to wipe clean and start fresh.   ;)  YMMV

OK, so I deleted the old phone this morning and SYNC'd the new one this afternoon. It appears to have been a non-event......clicked add phone, opened Bluetooth, searched for SYNC, typed in the secret code and it was done. WHEW!!! Thanks for all the replies!

Well, I spoke too soon. Turns out my phone book didn't upload to SYNC. 3 tries later, and a Master Reset, and it all seems to be working..........maybe even better than the old one. The switch from SYNC to Bluetooth headset while on a call went seamlessly this morning. And that's a very good thing.

Adair, if the phone book does not sync, you may have to delete the phone, then add it again.  THough it appears to be completed, the upload can take a while, depends on the number of contacts and data you have in yoru phone and what you have sync'd.

My MFT lost my phone a couple months ago )9never figured out how or why) and I had to delete it, then re-install.

One other tip in case you need:  I read on a Sync bulletin board that you should totally power off the phone after you have deleted the device from MFT.  LEt it sit a couple minutes, then power back on and attempt to pair it with MFT.  The writer contended that there may still be a connection even though you had deleted the device.

Good luck, seems to be trail and error with many facets.