First (Short) Road Trip

raymond963

Just made our first road trip on Tuesday, though it was a relatively short one; about 135 miles from home. We went to the Field Museum in Chicago with our daughter and 5-year-old grandson (it was his birthday and he wanted to see the dinosaurs), and we stopped in Romeoville for meals each way. The average MPG for the entire round trip was 38.1 and temps were in the 50s and 60s. We have about 5600 miles on the car.

MPG from home to Romeoville, about 100 miles, was 35.7 at 65 MPH highway speeds. From just after Romeoville into Chicago, about 35 miles, the speed limit drops to 55 MPH and MPG was 48.3! That was running cruise (non-Eco) all the way with no traffic backups.

On the trip home, I turned on Eco-Cruise to see what it would do but traffic was heavy and there was a lot of stop-and-go for about 20 miles. From Chicago to Romeoville, MPG was slightly lower at 46.5. Romeoville to home was nearly the same as the other way at 35.6 MPG.

I'll be commuting 48 miles each way soon and will be happy to trade a little time to save a lot of gas. This car will beat the heck out of my Jeep Wrangler that gets about 15 MPG. But I did keep the Jeep in case winter road conditions warrant a lifted 4X4 with big tires and lots of ground clearance.