Test drove a CMax today

Disluvr

Seriously thinking about buying the CMax and trading in my 2008 Prius.  Took a CMax out for 2 hours today.  My hubby has a 2010 Prius with the technology package and loves his Prius.  His comment about the CMax was that he couldn't get his golf clubs in the trunk space of the CMax as he can in his Prius without putting the seats down.  He disliked the CMax alot and also thought the cloth seats looked very cheap.   Also, I love to travel and wasn't sure how much luggage I could fit in the CMax with the seats up.  How many 28" pieces of luggage would fit?  Is it easy to put a baby in a car seat in the CMAX vs a Prius? Other than that and concerned about the mileage, I really enjoyed driving the CMax.  I love sitting higher.  Does anyone find a problem with lack of space in the cargo area with the seats up?  What are your thoughts?  Is my hubby right?

I don't feel there is any trouble with the available cargo space behind the back seat.  It is to be expected from a car of this design and market placing for it's class.  I also fail to see how the CMax has less room than a sedan Prius with the seats up?  Maybe in the "V" model they might have more?  I've never seen the interior of that model, so I can't judge it.  Two hours for a test drive?  WOW! I'm impressed, I've never gone more than around the block or down the blvd and back to the dealer.  I agree the cloth seats look cheap and why I got the leather for a bit more.  I love mine with no regrets.  Shouldn't be anymore challenging for a child seat in a CMax over a Prius, about the same interior appointments.  Hope you buy a CMax and experience a better built Hybrid and support American Engineering and jobs.

Seriously thinking about buying the CMax and trading in my 2008 Prius.  Took a CMax out for 2 hours today.  My hubby has a 2010 Prius with the technology package and loves his Prius.  His comment about the CMax was that he couldn't get his golf clubs in the trunk space of the CMax as he can in his Prius without putting the seats down.  He disliked the CMax alot and also thought the cloth seats looked very cheap.   Also, I love to travel and wasn't sure how much luggage I could fit in the CMax with the seats up.  How many 28" pieces of luggage would fit?  Is it easy to put a baby in a car seat in the CMAX vs a Prius? Other than that and concerned about the mileage, I really enjoyed driving the CMax.  I love sitting higher.  Does anyone find a problem with lack of space in the cargo area with the seats up?  What are your thoughts?  Is my hubby right?

As a golfer myself I have no problems with golf clubs in my CMax. You have 2 choices to place yur bag:

8665619453_e34c39c20a_c.jpg

The 1st two pictures on the top shows the golf bag with the part 60/40 split seat down. Alternatively, just throw it down on the rear seat sideways.

My bag is a Ping Lattitude V2 stand bag so it's more on the larger side of golf stand bags.  I am not sure if your hubby will carry his mates or not aka his foursome and if he is the chauffer, a larger SUV is more appropriate. Now, my golf bag will not go in rear compartment sideways - not without removing my driver and 3 wood.

Also, I mostly walk or I may, on occasions, also take my pull cart which also fits in there fine.

As for real cargo carrying capability, I'll show you these 2 pictures of what my wife and I load up with our skis, snowboard, large bags, huge cooler with food, alcohol when we travel to Mammoth Mountain to go skiiing (take a read of the links in my signature).
8569261991_4d29dcc98c_c.jpg8570359662_743ce5594b_c.jpg

The total length in the rear with the seats completely folded down flat is 5 ft 5" and 3' headroom from the rear passenger seat. 

It's very much bigger than it looks and especially nice to have the extra room near the top. I have no babies in the family (except me  ;)  - so says the wifey) so I'll let the other posters here comment.

Also, take a look at the SEL model. It has a lot of really niceties that is not in the SE such as leather seat, rear view camera, My Ford Touch - that could be the cup of tea. 

If you have any Qs, please feel free to ask away.

Also, take a look at the SEL model. It has a lot of really niceties that is not in the SE such as leather seat, rear view camera, My Ford Touch - that could be the cup of tea. 

Alas, the rear view camera is not standard on the SEL.  I wish it were.

I parked next to someone with a Prius V a few weeks ago.  He and I compared cars.  I honestly think there is no way the CMax is going to beat the V in cargo space.  However, if you are creative in how you pack things, then it isn't a problem.  

One thing with the C-Max cargo space numbers - a lot of that is height - a lot more available height than in a Prius.

When we have 4 people on a road-trip, the plan is to use fairly wide flat suitcases, but stand them on edge.

We also bought a cargo organizer so we can pile things high and not have them spill over into the back seat - haven't used that one on a trip yet though.