c-max hybrid test gets 60 mpg

Monk

A team of drivers from the media got an outstanding 60 mpg in a first drive "hyper-mile" competition with other media drive teams driving the new 2013 C-Max Hybrid this week.

Ford Motor Co. has been introducing the new 2013 C-Max Hybrid to media this week in Los Angeles. As part of the introduction, journalists were invited to team up and see how fuel efficiently they could drive the C-Max Hybrid in a test drive from West Hollywood to near Malibu.

View slideshow: 2013 Ford C-Max EPA rated at 47 mpg: first drive gets 60 mpg

The approximately 50 mile hyper-mile route covered all types of Los Angeles area road and traffic that one might expect to experience in everyday driving of the 2013 C-Max Hybrid.

http://www.examiner.com/article/2013-ford-c-max-epa-rated-at-47-mpg-first-drive-gets-60-mpg

• 3 months later...

Good results, especially since they didn't resort to the typical hyper-miling techniques, like driving below the speed limit.

"They felt they could beat the 47 mpg given their skill set and the features and engineering that Ford has built into this new C-Max. They were surprised to achieve 60 mpg at the end of the run of city and highway driving. Especially since they did not resort to sometimes used tactics in hyper-mile tests of folding side mirrors to improve aerodynamics and driving well under the speed limits to optimize the fuel performance."

"The approximately 50 mile hyper-mile route covered all types of Los Angeles area road and traffic that one might expect to experience in everyday driving of the 2013 C-Max Hybrid."

So who on here is going to top this result?

A team of drivers from the media got an outstanding 60 mpg in a first drive "hyper-mile" competition with other media drive teams driving the new 2013 C-Max Hybrid this week.

Ford Motor Co. has been introducing the new 2013 C-Max Hybrid to media this week in Los Angeles. As part of the introduction, journalists were invited to team up and see how fuel efficiently they could drive the C-Max Hybrid in a test drive from West Hollywood to near Malibu.

View slideshow: 2013 Ford C-Max EPA rated at 47 mpg: first drive gets 60 mpg

The approximately 50 mile hyper-mile route covered all types of Los Angeles area road and traffic that one might expect to experience in everyday driving of the 2013 C-Max Hybrid.

http://www.examiner.com/article/2013-ford-c-max-epa-rated-at-47-mpg-first-drive-gets-60-mpg

Great article, looks like Consumer Reports and those journalists from Automotive News don't know how to properly drive a hybrid like the C-Max. : )

I don't consider myself a hypermiler but have driven hybrids over five years. First a 2007 Camry hybrid then a 2010 Fusion hybrid which was a great car but I needed more luggage space so I now have my C-Max SEL. A few shots of mpg. I did get over 60 in one and I was not holding up traffic, just going with the flow.

TS 1456

TS 1400

Trip 2 1456

Edited by cgul

• 2 weeks later...

Great article, looks like Consumer Reports and those journalists from Automotive News don't know how to properly drive a hybrid like the C-Max. : )

Consumer Reports has egg on their face.   CR should understand by now that hybrids perform differently in tests and a lot factors play into mileage results. 

CR's Prius was below EPA city estimates by 19 mpg.  The Prius C is off by a huge amount.

CR should try to understand hybrids and not demonize them with sensationalized headlines.

Problem is, that we don't need a car, which can make a record. We need a car. which shows good MPG in normal everyday driving without extra skills from the driver. 'Driving mode' button is OK, but special techniques, required to get good results - are not. So we need an estimation for the 'average' driver and not for recordsmen.

I can reach 42 - 44 mpg on most trips, but it means (not always but often) very annoying driving. if I drive normally, I have 37 - 40 mpg. There are routes, which can show 47 easily, but average routes shows 39 - 40 if do not use special techniques.