Nutz

Jus-A-CMax

What do you do when your CMax has 515 on the tank, 100 estimated miles left and the day says you have at least 118 miles of road to trek?

For most normal CMax drivers - first stop - the Gas Station.

If you'r nutz like me, you'll say..."Lets do this".

Enjoy the read  ;)

1st leg - run from San Fernando to Camarillo. For those who know this area, it's the Mission Oaks neightborhood. I do this leg in my sleep and pretty comfortable number via the 118 and then cutting thru Tierra Rejada to Santa Rosa rd. However, I get there and I have hills to climb to reach the houses - ugh. Burn more gas. Tank is yellow but says I have 55 miles left. Comfortable with that....

2nd leg - I am done, now it's time to head to Wizen Centre in Agoura Hills for some lunch. Burn more gas as this part of the Santa Rosa Rd is uphill and then hit the "Norweigian" grade...more up hill....and then to the 101, climb up the a little more before going downslope on the 101 to get off at Kanan and the Wizen Centre. Tank in yellow. Lunch was great. 

3rd leg. Climb Kanan Rd. I know this road which connects the 101 to the PCH. Nice drive, not too much traffic, nothing too severe in the grade but there are about 3 or 4 relatively long grades you need to climb before peaking and then its an automatic full battery CHARGE!!!!!!!!!! Down...down....down....EV....EV.....  :yahoo:

Hit the PCH and cruise down to Sunset, make a left and then left on Pacific Palisades Dr....oooops....UP HILL!!!! My tank is red, its saying ZERO and I have another hill to climb and its not little hill as my subject is on the top - you know, the killer view house that is right on peak top,  UP THERE and I have red tank  :waiting:

So I climb, drive around on the top to shoot some more houses, windows all down to enjoy the smell of the sea breeze. About 12.6 gallons used. Sweating but the breeze is cool.

4th leg. I am screwed. I have a red tank, zero estimate left. I use my advice...u know the one I give out to everyone else... and start to watch my "Gas Used". Ugh. Lucky I got my spare tank today. 

Going down Pacific Palisades was easy peasy - no gas used. God I  :wub2:  the CMax. Cruise the PCH to Topanga, I must have passed like 4 CHP or Sheriffs motor bikes just watching the speeders on the PCH.

I drive a hybrid, I have no fuel, on fumes so no-way-hosay-r-u-gonna-ticket-me for speeding.

Climbing Topanga was the worse. Watching my gas used like a hawk...when I reach the peak...12.90 gallons used. It's now downhill, I think I can do this - I think I can reach the Costco in Northridge.......TALLY HO!!!!!!

Again, cruise down - zero gas used, full battery by the time I reached Ventura and I am almost home. Knowing my luck, I'll "ptjones it" (the 1st CMax driver that I know who ran out of gas) just before I get to the gas station...

Cross over the 13.0 gallons threshold. Wow, never used this much gas before.

Ugh.

Add another 0.01 and another...and another. Make a left on Tampa....add another...

Gonna be close.

I did it.

So what was the end result....
8672840357_a87802b148.jpg

Here are the numbers by the legs:
8673054435_6275c225ca_c.jpg

Here's the googlemap:
8674812642_705c0bcde6_b.jpg

Next time, just tank up like everyone else.....nutz.

But then, it ain't me, is it  ;)
Edited by Jus-A-CMax

650 is next!! 

Adair - if not for the Kanan, Pacific Palisades and Topanga Canyon hills/grades I had to climb and the fuel burnt, the 650 mile barrier would have been broken but it is what it is, I had to drive and work and not play. I seriously think that if I decide to go on vacation for a week and just play with Maxine, with the right terrain (and I know where they are), the 700 mile is achievable. However, to me its not realistic as it then becomes a scientific experiment...and I have to use Maxine for work. It is what it is...someone else can break the 700, or 650...ptjones and I have done our bit for the CMax world (which I think we are the 1st to achieve at the same time).

By the way, I don't think anyone on fuelly has even come close to the 4 drivers on this forum for the 600+ a tank miles...we have quality, drivers here abliet they have some "nutz" in 'em  ;)

Yeah, but.................

Ok, whatever you say Jus. But it's *only* 7 miles more, and it won't surprise me a bit when I see that 750 mpg pix posted.

And speaking of ptjones, where has he been? Haven't seen any posts lately.

I hope someone at Ford or some of the mag-rags is paying attention to what's being accomplished here...........

Edited by Adair

You can also be the first one to tell us if running out of fuel burns out the pump.

Actually, I would not be the first but thanks for the well wishes  ;)

ptjones was the 1st CMaxer to run it all the way out. This is his thread: I RAN OUT OF GAS - 13.86 gallons

There was no issues when he did ran out of gas. He EVed over to the side, turn off the car, refilled with his spare and away he went. 

Yeah, but.................

Ok, whatever you say Jus. But it's *only* 7 miles more, and it won't surprise me a bit when I see that 750 mpg pix posted.

And speaking of ptjones, where has he been? Haven't seen any posts lately.

I hope someone at Ford or some of the mag-rags is paying attention to what's being accomplished here...........

Unfortunately, at those fuel level, 1 to 7 miles makes a huge difference, as does each hill/grade to climb and each glide distance, timing the lights and really feathering the ICE when its on. 750 would be doubtful, 700 may be when the conditions are right, 650 more of a possibility and 600 FOR SURE and with gas to spare.  :)

I was just busting chops.  It's definitely a crapshoot though.  I just talked to a guy at work last week that it happened to.  Wasn't in a Cmax but Ford wouldn't warranty the pump.

Actually, I would not be the first but thanks for the well wishes  ;)

ptjones was the 1st CMaxer to run it all the way out. This is his thread: I RAN OUT OF GAS - 13.86 gallons

There was no issues when he did ran out of gas. He EVed over to the side, turn off the car, refilled with his spare and away he went. 

Unfortunately, at those fuel level, 1 to 7 miles makes a huge difference, as does each hill/grade to climb and each glide distance, timing the lights and really feathering the ICE when its on. 750 would be doubtful, 700 may be when the conditions are right, 650 more of a possibility and 600 FOR SURE and with gas to spare.  :)

I was just busting chops.  It's definitely a crapshoot though.  I just talked to a guy at work last week that it happened to.  Wasn't in a Cmax but Ford wouldn't warranty the pump.

I know...back at you...hence the  ;)  It was a natural question.

The idea is to take it to the brink but this is not for everyone. I think ptjones and I have figured out where the threshold is and its not like we want to run out deliberately, plus its too inconvenient. Enjoy the thread the forum  :rockon:

You can also be the first one to tell us if running out of fuel burns out the pump.

The first?  That was Jackson Browne, Running on Empty, in 1977.

VIDEO -   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJYRtOPUonA

LYRICS - http://www.lyricsfre...y_20068510.html

Running on-running on empty

Running on-running blind

Running on-running into the sun

But I'm running behind

I am at +180 miles and 49.2 mpg since I broke the 600 mile/tank threshold and I have been running alot of hwy with the A/C running. I think this car gets better with age :)

:rockon:  see what a little confidence in breaking a threshold does to the mindset. Also, thats what I was saying in my Mammoth post where I documented the "Mammoth to Home" graph (the most consistent temperatures and conditions) and there is a consistent rise in MPG improvement as the engine breaks-in over this long span of time. Starts at 3,000 odo and get better and better and levels out at about 10,000 or 11,000 miles.