Over-The-Air Updates?

Today I was just messing with the wi-fi/internet connection and connected it to my cellphone's hotspot, was there something supposed to happen?

Curious to what's the purpose of having the C-Max connected to the internet anyways, download apps, system updates etc.?

I just got the car on Monday, still learning all the cool stuff in it. 

The sharing hotspot feature is redundant - users in your car could just as easily connect to the phone hotspot as the car hotspot.  One potential benefit would be you could pickup a public wifi signal that requires sign-in, but others in the car wouldn't need to sign in.

If the specific cell phone supports blue-tooth PAN, you may avoid needing to pay the cell providers extra $$ for the hotspot feature.

I'm pretty sure the in-car hotspot was proposed by Ford sales execs several years ago, when most phones couldn't provide wifi hotspot features on their own. I know I used to own an older iPhone that could do bluetooth or USB tethering, but not wifi. And once Ford decides to add such a feature, it's not going to get removed quickly, even if phone technology rapidly makes it irrelevant.