Big turning radius

armoredsaint

Now I know it's not just me, even my previous company car a 2013 300 had a tighter turn.

I do notice going into tight parking spaces, it wasn't as smooth as I hoped and hard to believe it's less than 36 feet  ;)

"Although the C-Max's steering feels normal and not artificially electric as in some hybrids, the car feels like it has an exceptionally wide turning radius. We find ourselves doing multipoint turns just to get into the Starbucks drive-thru. When we look up the actual turning circle reported by Ford, we're genuinely surprised to see it's just 35.8 feet, a typical number for a car this size."

I think it's 38.3 feet not what Edmunds says.  

My 2009 Jetta Tdi was 35.8 feet.  There's no way the C-Max is the same as my Jetta.  After driving the Jetta for over 4 years, I had to re-calibrate my perspective when pulling into parking spaces and so forth with the C-Max.   

i just remember, even today when i first drove the c-max it surprised me when i made a sharp turn or a u-turn.

for a small car it does require a larger diameter.

the car and driver review and the specs on cars.com lists the turning radius as something around 19, so a total circle is going to be close to 40.

I know when I test drove one at the dealer it surprised me when I went to park the vehicle back into the place where they had it sitting and I ran out of turning and had to back up once to get it into the spot.  The size of the vehicle really makes one think it should have a smaller turning radius.

Compared with my current boat of a vehicle the turning radius is approximately the same so I'm sorta used to the wide radius I guess.  But even so, the CMAX has a tad bit bigger radius!

i meant lock to lock turns, that you can tell a difference in diameter.

I know, but still no big deal, its a 3 point turn vs 1...but I ain't too fuss unless its MFT related ;)

By the way, this was one of things that I discussed with the Ford Engineers at the Irvine POW-WOW in Feb, they took note of it :rockon:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

I am parking Yippie behind my house and one of the reasons Hippie was on the street (and met its demise) was the really bad turn radius.  I parked the PT back there pretty easily and Chryslers are all crap for turning.  I have a few yard obstacles that will soon be moved and make it easier, but it is pretty much the 34 point road turn.

I am parking Yippie behind my house and one of the reasons Hippie was on the street (and met its demise) was the really bad turn radius.  I parked the PT back there pretty easily and Chryslers are all crap for turning.  I have a few yard obstacles that will soon be moved and make it easier, but it is pretty much the 34 point road turn.

We want pics of Yippe when he comes home :)

My thinking is smaller turning radius means bigger wheel wells, or thinner tires, or smaller tires, or less clearance, or bigger car.  The turning radius really isn't an issue with me.  I like the sporty tires and ride.  Even Toyota sacrificed some turning radius compared to the Prius vs Corolla - Prius is 4 inches shorter yet a little bigger turning radius.

Turning Radius in ft ( from consumerreports.org unless I made a mistake in the copying )

45 Chevy Suburban

41 C-Max  

40 Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, Toyota Camry

39 Prius V

37 Prius

36 Corolla

34 Fiat Pop

30 Smart

Edited by obob

My thinking is smaller turning radius means bigger wheel wells, or thinner tires, or smaller tires, or less clearance, or bigger car.  The turning radius really isn't an issue with me.  I like the sporty tires and ride.  Even Toyota sacrificed some turning radius compared to the Prius vs Corolla - Prius is 4 inches shorter yet a little bigger turning radius.

Turning Radius in ft ( from consumerreports.org unless I made a mistake in the copying )

45 Chevy Suburban

41 C-Max  

40 Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, Toyota Camry

39 Prius V

37 Prius

36 Corolla

34 Fiat Pop

30 Smart

Consumer Reports numbers are the "bumper clearance" numbers which will be more than the curb to curb turning numbers which are normally reported by the manufacturer.  The CR numbers are more relevant when pulling into parking spaces between parked cars or making u-turns with obstacles / cars on the side of the road.

I still find myself having to adjust, e.g. backup when parking and try again, when parking the c-max.  One would expect a small vehicle like this would have a better turning radius, but I assume the engineers did the best they could with the big wheels etc.

My Honda Element had a terrific turning radius.  Zip, zoom, go anywhere.

The C-Max is 38.4', and others can be found here: http://db.theautochannel.com/db/newcarbuyersguide/rank_car_criteria.php?sortby=Model&stylename=Wagon&titleid=184  For example, Prius V 5 is 38.1', but other V's are 36.1'.

Edited by ArizonaEnergi