Cleaning HVB air ducts

spirilis

Has anyone gone through the process of cleaning the air ducts for the HVB? (I did some searches but didn't find a thread... apologies if there is one)

I'm suspecting a cooling issue with my 2017 Energi's HVB, as I have an experience of driving somewhere that uses most of the HVB - somewhere around 30% battery the battery will suddenly drain quickly and go to hybrid mode, then after the car has sat around for 15+ minutes I come back and find the battery back into the 3D icon (EV capable) with ~20%.  I'm assuming there's something going on with thermal management here, and I've never done anything to clean the HVB cooling ducts.  Do you need to use something like a pellet brush to brush out the inner ducts or is it just a process of using shop vac/compressed air?

• 4 weeks later...

Back when I first got my Energi I had issues charging it, especially when it was hot outside. After multiple trips to a dealership that didn't really have a clue they finally figured out the outside air intake duct was absolutely clogged with dogwood, preventing sufficient airflow to keep the battery from baking while charging. That's, generally, the only cleaning one should need to do.

The general procedure idea:

1. Lift the passenger rear tire off the ground and remove it.

2. Remove the plastic wheel well liner

3. You should be able to see the air intake duct towards the back of the wheel well, it has a couple of screws holding it in.

4. Remove the screws holding it in, it should become loose.

5. Open the liftgate and remove the bottom plastic shroud around the battery.

6. Remove the passenger side plastic panel to reveal the blower fan.

7. Disassemble the blower fan and intake ducting.

8. Clean everything!

9. Put it all back together again.

The Ford Shop Manual that you can get for cheap off eBay will have diagrams and instructions on how to do all of these things, I'd highly recommend the few dollars they charge for it.