How to Rent a C-MAX

To make a real test drive, here is how I was able to assure renting a C-MAX from Budget.  I don't know if this will work in other areas, or if something similar will work with other agencies.

First, go online and join the Budget FastBreak rental program.  It's free.

Next, call your local Budget Rent a Car agency.  Do not call the 800 number.  For this to work, you must call the local office.  As to speak to the FastBreak representative for that agency, if they have one. 

When you reach that person, explain that you are a FastBreak member--members get priority treatment for vehicle requests--and that you are contacting Budget for the purpose of reserving a specific vehicle, NOT one that could be that one or something from the same category.  Let the agent know that you can be flexible for your dates, so that the agency can have time to get a C-MAX to your local agency.

Whatever the ETA, periodically follow up to see how things are going.  I think it took about a week for the agency to get the C-MAX moved to my location.

Good luck

I can confirm this, though I stumbled upon one via pure luck! I'm on travel for work, which selected Budget for my rental car. I spotted a C-MAX in the lot, asked if I could rent it, so here I am on a five-day extended test drive!

No, no, no....get it RIGHT...4 days of a Prius rental so you get to know all the POWER buttons, sit face to face with the front wind screen, enjoy the thrill & luxurious high MPGs of the one and only Prius acceleration can give you and then last day with the CMax. If that doesn't convince u, then you and Prius were meant to be together forever in :wub2:  and u proved it conclusively. 

We now return you to the normal CMax channel and hope this thread doesn't turn into another alien thread :runaway:

I do, I do...if the Prius had a bigger tank, I would be Jus-A-Prius. I will be clocking up my 8th 500 mile tank and be posting on toyotapriushybridforum.com.

I can feel the  :cry: for me now.....

I know, me bad... :redcard:

Will a Moderator please do something with this guy?!?    :redcard:

• 3 weeks later...

post-668-0-65194000-1369278362_thumb.pngNOT MINE!

But, here is what I saw at Budget at MIA today, when I went to pick up what I hope to be my last rental before my REAL C-MAX arrives at the dealership next week . . . hopefully.  (That's another story.)

The point is, C-MAXs are out there for rental . . . at least in some areas.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami

tell them to send some to my area. i forgot to post an update but all my calls to the places you all mentioned even with all the tips/tricks suggested did not work for me. they did not have any in inventory fleet and would not transfer from one rental place to my local rental even if i didnt care about a specific wait time or date. the trip my wife and i took to san diego last week would have been the perfect 3 day test of the cmax as we drove in all scenarios of 65-75 mph fwy speeds, stop and go, city driving, and nice backroads at 35-45 mph. my vw gas passat sel got great mileage on the trip (about 34 mpg avg) so im not complaining but still want to test the cmax out.

if anyone in so. cal. here is successful at renting a cmax sel, please tell me how and with who and the exact place so i can call them up. it seems many are independent franchises and dont have to follow the corporate stuff and programs or treats you like they could care less. i was on the line for several minutes with one lady and she did seem sincere and really tried to help me but that wasnt the norm.

:( help us rent a cmax :sos: :sos:

I was just looking on google, and saw a hybrid rental co. called Simply Hybrid Rent a Car System (simplyhybrid.com).  They are in LA, on Wilshire near Fairfax.  They list the C-Max as one of their cars.  I know nothing about them, but not too far from Whittier.  Worth a call, maybe.

scuba - yes of course. when i mentioned it and asked for the fast break rep most almost laughed at me. some acted like they never heard of it. some made it seem like there was no perk for being a FB member. anyways i will hold off for a while i guess

ron - nice find but that place is all the way on the West side maybe 30 miles away from me. it's not even close. nice to see they have such a thing for those who want only hybrids.

where would I leave my car? the idea would be to rent close to home so my wife could drive my car home.

You both go in one car to the rental agency.  

Alternatives:  go to a dealer, show you're serious, and get an extended test drive.  I got one for 48 hours.  You might get an even longer time frame with a used one (plus the ICE will be more broken in).  autos.yahoo shows five available around a thirty miles zone of the 90601 zipcode.  http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/overview?distance=50&location=90601&bodystyle=&modelyearlb=&modelyearub=&make=ford&model=c_max&askpricelb=&askpriceub=&deliverymileagelb=&deliverymileageub=&listingtype=used&keywords=

going that far with both cars especially her low mpg SUV isn't an option i like.

since we want to test drive now but are not buying now (wife still getting interviews to go back to work) and since we will be buying from the AAA or costco programs approved dealer we can't just go to any dealer and get a test drive if they know we won't be buying soon or from them; already tried that and failed (plus they didn't have the same model and options we wanted,so...

we will find one someday but will have to wait for now.