erractic avg mpg video

mtb9153

Just wanted to share a short video I shot with my iPhone while driving during a short drive but it is too big to load here.  So I will describe what it was about.

I was unhappy with my average mpg readings being in the low 40 range so I got the idea to go into settings and fuel history.  I reset the fuel history and immediately the readings were changing constantly very quickly ranging as much as 10mpg +/- as the computer settled into the current mpg levels.  Suddenly I was getting readings as high as 50+ range and falling back into the low 40's range and then back to the 50's again.  Currently after things settled down I now maintaining a 45 or better score.

My question is why was I consistently seeing low scores and once I reset the history I started getting much higher scores?  I burned my previous tank with very poor mpg mileage range, barely getting 500 miles to the tank.  Still trying to reach that elusive 600mile mark.

Don't know what was happening, but the time period on the history screen is adjustable from 30 minutes to 5 minutes.  If you set it on 30 minutes, each bar is a five minute average and at that setting my bars are fairly stable. If you're set on the 5 minute range, the bars are only for a 1 minute period and do fluctuate.

I finally figured out that the blue horizontal line is the average shown on all the Empower, Engage etc. screens.

Edited by jmckinley

My question is why was I consistently seeing low scores and once I reset the history I started getting much higher scores?  

Think of the avg. meter as a ball & chain pendulum.   When you first let go of the ball, it will swing wildly from side to side but eventually the cycles slow down and will "average out" as the ball comes to rest at the bottom.  

For overall tank mpg, use one of your trip meters to "keep score" as you refer to it and use the avg meter to learn how the car works.  Reset set it often to see how different driving scenarios affect mpg's.   Yesterday, I reset mine while in EV mode and it swung from 250mpg to 30mpg in less than a hundred feet after the ICE kicked on during acceleration.  Now that's a HUGE swing!  But I left it alone through the rest of the day and it eventually "bottom out" at 46mpg for the day.  I won't even look at my trip 1 (tank mpg) until I go to fill up.

Edited by fotomoto