What's holding up deliveries?

spinner

On a first year model launch, Ford holds the very first units produced until they can go over them carefully to insure they're OK before shipping.

And Ford has never had a "first-year model launch" in the past and thus figured that into the publicly-announced date of availability? Sorry doesn't fly with me, this sounds like talk from a salesman at a dealership, and there's a reason they tend to not be viewed very positively.

• 2 weeks later...

I sat in a C-Max at my dealer the other day. I was disappointed in the lack of new car smell! It was before the dealer detailed it, I wonder if they add some of it now days?

Also, I was told that Ford has put a stop sale on the c-max for a while. I can't find anything like that in the news and the dealer said they didn't know why, so I dunno. Mine has been ordered since beginning of August, and it still doesn't have a build date.

And Ford has never had a "first-year model launch" in the past and thus figured that into the publicly-announced date of availability? Sorry doesn't fly with me, this sounds like talk from a salesman at a dealership, and there's a reason they tend to not be viewed very positively.

Typical on virtually every new model of the Mustang, so I cannot see what makes the c-max any different. It's a quality hold for something.

I sat in a C-Max at my dealer the other day. I was disappointed in the lack of new car smell! It was before the dealer detailed it, I wonder if they add some of it now days?

Also, I was told that Ford has put a stop sale on the c-max for a while. I can't find anything like that in the news and the dealer said they didn't know why, so I dunno. Mine has been ordered since beginning of August, and it still doesn't have a build date.

That new car smell is embalming type fluid leaking out of the components. Maybe they found a new substitute.

• 4 weeks later...

I just ordered a C-Max SEL last week. Manager cautioned that it might take two months or more because it is a new model (this was before I test drove the C-Max). My past experience with Fords is delivery is around six weeks for normal production vehicles.

I loved the test drive. I also think the cost is at or less than comparable equipped vehicles, e.g., Fusion, Honda hybrid, Prius, etc. Even before the $1000 rebate.

I test drove an SEL back on October 13th and the Chicago area Ford dealer said the same thing ... new orders are taking 6 to 8 weeks (perhaps as we're a bit closer to where they're made) -- he had 7 in stock (mostly SE's) but noticed that the dealer site also now shows an Energi model with a VIN number so these can't be too far behind as well. Plan to do a few more other make/model test drives but the C-Max is very much still on my potential new car list.

I've had a pretty simple SEL on order since June and it was BUILT on August 13th with a delivery estimate of AUGUST 20, eight miles down Michigan Ave. from the plant. Today is OCTOBER 31st and it still has NOT been delivered to the dealer. I've seen others delivered and on the road. Any ideas on what the holdup is, EXACTLY???