Rear dashcam mounting/wiring notes

Got around to installing the rear camera to my dual cam Viofo A129 dashcam today since I had the day free and was already doing some tweaks and fixes to my APIM.

This setup has a long USB cable that runs from the rear camera to the front. Power is fed through this cable instead of supplied separately. Ultimately was trying to find the cleanest and easiest solution without opening too many trim panels or having to pull down the whole headliner.

What worked for me is there's a somewhat clear path through the headliner just to the side of the moonroof shade track on the passenger side (those without the moonroof will have an easier time). This also clears the side airbags as well. There's already a harness that runs in this same spot for the ANC mics and overhead lights. I had a set of fiberglass wire fish poles (linked below) for other uses that came in handy here. CAREFULLY probing around I was able to clear through the headliner. There's a metal brace up front that is a pain to clear and you may need to pull the headliner down some for clearance, but it is possible. There's a number of plastic spacers glued to the headliner that you need to work your way through/around, but the path I found seems to be the easiest to fish through.

https://www.amazon.com/Fiberglass-Running-Electrical-Different-Attachments/dp/B0B38KV7BQ/r

As far as mounting the rear camera, with the tiny window we have I found the best spot was attaching to the upper trim piece on the hatch, leaving the camera lens the only thing coming into view of the window. It seems to have a clear and straight view with little obstructions. Trying to place it on either side of the window with the curvature leaves you missing a bit from the opposite side of the car.

I'll have pics posted later this afternoon once I get everything buttoned back up. I need to do a test drive as well and make sure everything functions correctly. Some older dual cam units had some bad interference issues coming off this cable that could interfere with some systems in the vehicle such as TPMS.

Edited by cr08

A couple extra notes included with the photos: The rubber gromet on the passenger side of the hatch that has the washer fluid hose and rear defrost wire has a decent amount of room remaining. Was pretty easy to run the cable through here for a seamless run. Running the cable out of the trim on the top side of the hatch is not suitable. It kept tugging on the cable and disconnecting the camera. The photos below show where it routes on the window side of the trim which has worked out better here. All cable excess was wrapped up and hidden above the headliner up front above the passenger visor.

I've also included a diagram of the headliner showing all the plastic spacers and the routing I took.

PXL_20230607_210929341 - Copy.jpg

PXL_20230607_205525350 - Copy.jpg

PXL_20230607_205535537 - Copy.jpg

PXL_20230607_205858479 - Copy.jpg

PXL_20230607_210857123 - Copy.jpg

PXL_20230607_210915058 - Copy.jpg

vlcsnap-2023-06-07-17h42m25s811.jpg

SDG~us~en~file=E154432_EUR_650_JPG~gen~ref.jpg