Just a few questions from a new Hybrid driver.

I've had my 2014 Cmax (SEL not a plug-in)  for a bit over 6 months now.  Current lifetime mpg is 48.7mpg, vehicle only has 52k miles.    I'm averaging about 54 ish mpg for the last couple of months.  

Does anyone take their Cmax on long highway trips?  does the MPG suffer?  If so, are there any tricks to doing long distance (other than drafting when possible, and coasting down hills.)  And some of my trips would be through mountainous regions (think VA/WVa/Pa and such.

Are there any ways to keep the EV going as long as possible before the ICE kicks in?  

Does A/C have a drastic effect on the mpg?  What about the Hvac blower motor running?

I've seen grill covers recommended, but my vehicle has the auto grill shutters.  Still recommended or no?  

I am looking into trying the gas pods, they aren't expensive and my feeling is that they can't hurt.  

Two C-Max owner here ('16' - built in Oct. 2015 and a '17') - you will get lower MPGs on the highway with a C-Max. Why?  Higher speed, using the AC. etc. I find I'm around 41-42 mpg on long highway drives (e.g. 6-11 hours). You're going faster, with AC and less battery time.  

You can get better MPGs by slowing down (60-65 mph vs 70-75 mph) but a longer time driving so I do 75 mph a lot.  I visit my B-I-L and do the trip (695 miles) in a one 11-11:30 hours day. I fill up at 500 miles since there are few (and expensive) gas stations near his house so it's better to tank up sooner rather than later. 

I run my Michelins (Energy Savers) at 50 mph and flip the AC on and off depending on hills (flip off the AC on uphills). 

On my '17' you can't run the fan only; it will kick on the AC no matter what.  You can on the '16' - wish they'd left it that way.

I don't coast downhills; prefer to slightly increase MPH downhill for a better run uphill (NYS Thruway).

Gas pods are a gimmick; worthless. I do let the battery re-charge on long downhills - amazing how fast you can go and recharge at the same time! I sometimes drive barefoot to get the best 'light touch' on the gas pedal. 

Thanks, this is what I was looking for.  On the highway, I set at 5mph above speedlimit, or at the speed limit on those 70mph stretches.  My highway mileage is usually around 48-49, whereas my commute mph is anywhere from 48 to 60mpg depending on traffic (14 miles, 1 highway for 12 miles, 5 total traffic lights.)

On the 2014 I can turn fan on separate from the A/C unit.  Most of the time I run with windows cracked as this vehicle is also a greyhound transporter.  On some medium (10-14mile) trips I get up to 63mpg.

I tried the coasting thing downhill, I worry about shifting back into drive at higher speed so I don't do it that often.

I will try running the tires at 50psi and see if I can get any increases.  

I am constantly learning, through trial and error and gauge watching (I prefer the engage display) how to maximize mpg/ EV usage.  My overall goal with this vehicle is 50+mpg lifetime (Almost at 49mpg lifetime now) and I think I can do it.

Extra grill shutters are not necessary since the coolant flows only through the radiator once the engine reaches a certain temperature. So if you drive in really cold weather the thermostat won't open the flow through the radiator cycle anyways. Coasting downhills uses more gas than leaving the car in drive...while coasting, your engine idles and uses gas....when you leave it in gear, the engine doesn't use any gas by design. Just google it for details.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Been running the 50psi in the tires for about a week now.  No real extreme difference, but it seems I may have picked up 1-2mpg on some trips.  And lifetime mpg is up to 49.  

I'll be experimenting with A/C for the next few weeks.  I'd like to see if I can maintain a 50+mpg with using A/C + recirc and manually turning the compressor on/off.  I highly doubt I'll be able to but let's try it.

Isn't it risky to inflate the tire to the max pressure it can handle? I mean...once you drive it on the freeway in the summer...the pressure will most likely go over the maximum it can handle. Just wondering. I stick with the Car sticker recommendation... on my Cmax it is 40psi (2014 model) and I feel that's already pretty hard.

tire psi.jpg

What is on the car door doesn't know what tires you actually have on the car.  Look at the tire side wall (use a flash light at an angle).  I have always kept my Michelins at 1-2 pounds below max.  I run my Michelin Energy Savers at 50 lbs (max is 51 lbs).  I spoke to the folks at Michelin and they said it's fine as long as I don't feel the ride is too hard. It isn't and I pretty much get 50 mpg around town in the summer.