Washer fluid level sensor addition

cr08

We all know that these vehicles sadly never came with a washer fluid level sensor let alone had the option for it in any model year/trim. Doing some research recently, it does appear that it is possible to add it and enable it as if it came that way. In fact the Ford Parts site lists the sensor itself you can order (it lists about $15 for me at my dealer).

I've already put in some details over on Cellivar's C-Max repo: https://github.com/Cellivar/ford-c-max/discussions/9#discussioncomment-6202112

The TL;DR/cliffnotes version:

Part numbers:

Sensor: CV4Z-17B649-A

Sealing grommet: CV4Z-16K624-A

A new wire needs to be run back to the BCM as it doesn't exist currently. This goes to pin 13 on connector C2280A (this is not confirmed, but wiring diagrams for a '14 Focus bear this out). The other side of the sensor is grounded nearby under the hood.

Programming-wise: There's both a setting in the IPC as well as the BCM to enable the low fluid level warning and the sensor itself respectively. The IPC config you can refer to the CyanLabs AsBuilt DB: https://cyanlabs.net/asbuilt-db/ipc-c-max-2012-2019-database/?search=Global%20Clock%20(GC)%2012%2F24%20Hour#database. For the BCM, this will be part of the Central Config in human readable format and easy to find.

Accessing the washer fluid bottle requires taking off the passenger side front wheel and taking out the fender liner. The Hybrid and Energi models have different washer fluid bottles and the sensor is located differently. However you can review the diagrams for the bottles on the Ford Parts site as, ironically, they show where the sensor should go even though it doesn't exist from the factory. That said, modification will be necessary as a hole will need to be drilled to fit the sensor.

I have not had a chance yet to do this modification myself. Dealing with the tire/fender stuff is going to make that a bit of a pain. At minimum I intend to start by at least verifying the pin on the BCM and software modifications work. I have no reason to believe that they won't, but always good to confirm.

Edited by cr08

On 6/21/2023 at 10:37 AM, stolenmoment said:

Isn't it easier to refill the reservoir when the rear sprayer stops working?

-- NOT a mechanic!

Yes, but why not have the option to add a sorely missed feature in this vehicle? May not be up to everyone's skill set, but it's there for those that want to tackle it. Purely informational which is always a welcome thing in this small community. Also you may not use the rear washer regularly to notice. I know I rarely use mine in comparison to the front washer.

There may also be some corner cases where you may not have the washer fluid available once it stops working and will be SOL. Think out in the middle of nowhere on a road trip.

Another fun little tidbit and makes the actual low fluid level sensor better than relying on the rear washer stopping: The way the washer fluid system is built in our vehicles (as well as many other Ford's with rear washers apparently) is it is a single pump that reverses polarity based on which is used. The reason the rear washer may stop flowing first is due to the longer fluid line (as well as having to run all the way up to the roof line) and needing the entire thing to be primed to have a flow. For the washer fluid level sensor, it sits higher up in the bottle and will give a lot more advance warning when it runs low instead of being when the bottle is completely empty where the pump can no longer do its job. At that point you're relying on what little fluid remains in the lines from the pump to the front washer nozzles.

Personally, and why I am posting stuff like this, is I am very much interested in finding ways to add features back in that Ford never bothered to. There's a ton of potential, largely due to being shared with the Focus platform which in some respects (especially overseas) had a lot more going for it. Unfortunately with the community being so small and many owners that are of the older age groups who just treat it as an appliance (no harm in that), that very few people like myself are willing to dive in to this stuff.

Edited by cr08