sync 3 radio transplant

If i could get a radio from another ford, would i be able to transpant it to my 2013 c max, im seeing a a couple of new ford cars in a place i could get parts from and wondering if i could take one from a 2017 ford fiesta or 2017 ford focus

These was a company that once offered a kit to do this .. it's not a simple as just swapping the radio .. it's a significant hardware upgrade. There is a new GPS antenna, a new media hub, new faster APIM, new screen and some reprogramming required based on VIN.

https://www.4dtech.com/c-max-13-15-sync-3-upgrade-for-myford-touch/

There are less expensive options on say, amazon --

https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Support-Including-Navigation-na3-4119/dp/B08SMD5GC5?th=1

I'm not specifically recommending any of these because I have no way of knowing how reputable any of these vendors really are.

I believe the last version of Sync 2 upgrade was 3.10 - I am still using Sync 2 and for the most part it works, although slow -- "Windows Embedded Automotive" was running on underpowered hardware and is just not as responsive as QNX.

As clunky as Sync 2 is, I dislike the navigation voice prompts for Sync 3 even more.

On 6/23/2023 at 8:39 PM, seiko said:

If i could get a radio from another ford, would i be able to transpant it to my 2013 c max, im seeing a a couple of new ford cars in a place i could get parts from and wondering if i could take one from a 2017 ford fiesta or 2017 ford focus

In general no.  The APIM (Accessory protocol interface module) is particular to the set up in your current model.  Although you see a faceplate and controls, the actual radio is a system of integrated electronic modules.  (See illustration below)

There are upgrades which can be found, as mentioned above.  I've been looking at one from Amazon that one of my coworkers installed on his Edge.  The company also pre-programs those upgrades to the VIN of the particular vehicle.  I've heard good things and the price point isn't too hateful..  (About $750 from what I've been researching.)  I would consider getting a  Ford trained technician to be on call, if you're installing it yourself, or to help you out with the install process.

cmAXRADIO.jpgcmaxradio2.jpg.24d9180ecdc72e6408c8e7c891affa2a.jpg

Edited by Edward