Mpg for my Max sucks last two tanks

mtb9153

I seem to be in a downward spiral the last two tanks.  I'm doing everything I can to keep my numbers above 44mpg but they just keep going down and fell to 39.9 on my way home from church today.  Road was flat and hypermiling at 32 mph while staying inside the blue range the whole time.  What gives.  It is warmer today than it was two days ago around 80degrees.  I reset the fuel economy and the numbers rose to 58 in minutes and started falling back down hovering for awhile in the high 40's then started falling again as low as 39.9.  I'm sick of this.  I work hard to get better numbers but this is out of my control.

This is my modus operandi, the only time to reset the Avg MPG is when u tank up, reset at the next fill up. As I have been stressing, your Avg MPG is the most volatile from full to about 1/3...you'll get the super-great to "u sux" at this range.

As such, forget about the Avg MPG but look at your Trip at the engine off, this is truly telling you how you're driving immediately - and u make mental notes and think about how to improve the next time u drive this same route, or select a more MPG friendly terrain such as the lesser slope route.

It's never A to B IF u want to drive FE, there is always a compromise for that high mileage that I or Matt or other high MPG drivers get.. which I, for one treat as a game, a challenge and it makes me a far more wary driver because I see terrain, traffic conditions ahead and rear..unlike a drone biplane driver.

Also, even I can't fight physics and get my low 38 MPG now and then..... that's just the way the cookie crumbles. Next cookie will be better-that's the attitude :rockon:

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

No matter how hard I try, I can't keep my average tank above 42.  

As they saying goes, YMMV (your mileage may vary) and that greatly depends on your driving environment.   I got 46-48mpg in my Prius (50 EPA or 50+ like many on those forums could get was just a dream for me) so even before I bought the CMax, I figured I'd get about 42mpg and early results seem to reflect that.  I now drive a larger, roomier, and more powerful car with more features.  Is that worth the difference?  You betcha'!   :happy feet:

Cheer up buddy-o-chum :)

Hey mtb, I had 18.8 MPGs!!!! For 4 to 5 miles. You thought u suxed, I got you beat :hi5:

Wow that really sucks.  Today I got backup into the 41 range on that same tank so I'm feeling better.  But the tank is almost done, if I'm lucky I will get 500miles to the tank but it will be close.  I'll have to run it down to the last drop to get it.