Anybody else...

frbill

Check the prevailing winds before you go out on a drive.

Last night I had about an hour drive to a meeting. I was looking at the wind to figure out what it would do for my mileage. I don't like being surprised by results so this helps me to temper my expectations. Now if only I could figure out a way to always drive with the wind at my back... ;)

As a motorcyclist and former surfer in my youth, I've always had a big interest in winds.   Living along the Texas gulf coast, most of the southern winds that the central part of the US experiences come by me first!  :)  

Winds were SE@15mph by 7am on this mornings commute with forecasted highs of 30-35mph by this afternoon.   So, yes those have a BIG effect on my fuel economy and I know I'll never get the big numbers others can get.   I really can't complain though as they keep us cooler than most other parts of the state and region during the long summer.  

Here's a VERY cool active wind map:  http://hint.fm/wind/

Ah NO, I guess a true hyper-miler might try to "anticipate" the effect of wind on FE before a trip and maybe adjust their speed, route, and so forth. :)

If I worried about hits to FE on anticipated trips, I might just not go.  So, lets see if I don't go, my FE for that anticipated trip would be 0 miles / 0 gallons = ???? MPG   I guess that's better than any positive FE number had I gone on the trip.   :confused:

My plan is to "drive more and worry less" (about the direction of the wind, temperature, use of AC and all other variables that affect FE).