regular vesus premium fuel

Recumpence

I did the math and I am 2% better off buying premium at the current prices versus the MPG difference. Almost not enough to even consider. But, the fact that it does not cost me any more per mile (actually a tiny bit less), I will go with premium since I do not have to fillup as often and it just feels better seeing higher numbers on the dash.   :)

Matt

Matt, I'm kind of thinking the same way.  Since I will be buying gas less frequently, I might can go with premium to get the better numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

It will cost me approximately an extra $5 a tank for super (93). Cheap compared to my previous 19 mpg SUV. I'll use super instead of putting a bottle of Techron in every oil change. I also decided to go with full synthetic oil also @ 10k mile intervals. I'll average 2.5 oil changes a year.

I am curious if both super and full synthetic will increase the mpg.

It will cost me approximately an extra $5 a tank for super (93). Cheap compared to my previous 19 mpg SUV. I'll use super instead of putting a bottle of Techron in every oil change. I also decided to go with full synthetic oil also @ 10k mile intervals. I'll average 2.5 oil changes a year.

I am curious if both super and full synthetic will increase the mpg.

What increased Octane does and what Techron does are completely separate.  Octane has to do with the compression in the cylinder.  Techron is about cleaning detergents.  If you had to choose between the two, IMHO, Techron or using a Top Tier  gasoline (http://www.toptiergas.com/), is much more important for the health of your engine than using a higher octane gas that exceeds the minimum requirements of the vehicle.