Looking at a used C-Max, would like advice.

BGreyWolf

Hello! My name is Ben, and I'm looking at a hybrid for my girlfriend, who does a lot of in-town driving with her kids and is new to driving in Maine snow (to be fair, she'll be almost entirely on paved/plowed roads so AWD is added expense and complexity that I don't think we need: I daily drive a 1986 Crown Victoria with no issues in the same places she'll be driving).

We've been looking at several models; one of them being C-Max in general; and we're going to test drive a 2014 C-Max SEL early next week. (Some other cars in consideration: Escape hybrid; Fusion hybrid; Kia Niro; RAV4; Prius V, in case anyone can compare/contrast ownership with those cars. She has a 6 year old and an 11 year old).

What should we look for in the C-Max? Any particular items we should be checking out besides obvious rust, noises, sloppy steering linkages, warning lights and so on? I'll probably bring my OBD scan tool or use the engineering mode to look at any stored code information (despite driving a 1986 daily, I'm not a luddite; I just don't drive a lot of miles and modern cars don't hold any appeal for me, especially since I've fixed a lot of them for my friends--I was a mechanic in the 2000s before becoming an engineer). I'm familiar with ForScan and use it regularly on various modern Fords.

Two particular questions:

1, how hard is it to add an integrated backup camera? My gf is quite short and that's a must for her if not already equipped. I'd like it to work like factory (again, hopefully we just look at C-Maxes that already have one).

2, the owner's manual mentions an optional traction control off switch but there's no pictures or description of it anywhere. Where is it, so I can see if a particular C-Max has it? (I had a newer car briefly that had traction control and required a menu dive to turn it off: try diving through a menu when the car is stuck halfway out of a driveway on a busy road.) If there isn't one, can it be added? Again, I don't mind if it takes some ForScan or custom work, as long as someone has already done it, I don't want to be experimenting on the gf's car.

Thank you!

Ben