Had a great conversation with a Prius V owner the other day.

Recumpence

I arrived at a customer's house the other day (I do appliance repair) and she drove up behind me and parked beside me in a Prius V. So, obviously, we got into quite a great conversation. Here is what she had to say;

"What kind of car is that?" 

---A  Ford  C-Max.--- 

"What? I was told last summer that Ford does not make any more hybrids!" 

---Well, this car was available last summer/early fall.---

"Wow, I have to go back to the Ford dealer and check it out!"

Basically she said she liked her "V". However, she said she would much rather support an American company and it would be good to be able to deal with the phenominal Ford dealer she has dealt with for years.

It was a truly great conversation. She told me she saw 42mpg in the winter and 46 to 48mpg in the summer. That is pretty much what is correct for the C-Max if driven in our area as well. We discussed the driving experience, technology, and other aspects of each car.

I have to say, I have nothing against the Prius (I like all 3 variations). In fact, I liked the wider layout of the V on the inside and I do not need a mile of headroom that my Max provides. That being said, I would never give up the fun, sporty aspect of the Max that none of the Prii can hope to match.

I just wanted to let you guys and gals know I have not found any competitive attitude between myself and Prius owners. I have had numerous conversations with Prius Liftback owners as well. They normally comment on how solid the C-Max doors and overall vehicle structure feel and how quick and great handling they are. I, then, comment on the higher MPG the Prius liftback is versus my Max.

It has always been a pleasure speaking with Prius owners.    :)

Matt

Edited by Recumpence

I arrived at a customer's house the other day (I do appliance repair) and she drove up behind me and parked beside me in a Prius V. So, obviously, we got into quite a great conversation. Here is what she had to say;

---A  Ford  C-Max.--- 

Who told her that?  The Toyota dealership?  I don't think Ford has not had a hybrid since 2004 Escape.

This is amusing when this thread is contrasted with a very similar one on the Prius forum, but that one has the CMax owner whining about "34ish" mpg vs the Prius 50-60MPG and then prius driver amusingly letting him know that Ford is being sued about "mileage estimates being off". Nice huh? Welcome to the Net....as the State Farm ad goes "they can't put anything that is not true on the Internet". "Who said that?". "The Internet".

;)

Edited by Jus-A-CMax

• 1 month later...

My wife had a Prius hatch and now has a Prius C. It is quite funny when My C-Max is parked next to the Prius C. Look across her car to mine, WOW, they are almost the same exact shape, just the Max is bigger all the way around, like a big blue shadow around her red car. I will have to get a picture of it to post. My wife does not bother to drive her hybrid any different, just drives with traffic and let's it fall where it may. Her MPG ranges from 44 to 48 since she got it. I can easilly get 50ish on any normal trip in it. My C-Max is definately a different car. I do think about energy management, but I am not crazy about it, I keep up with traffic, like to accelerate to merge, and I like to corner at speed, but once in traffic, I do use a few hybrid tricks and will keep it in electric when possible. So I have been averaging 47+ on my last tank as well. It sure is a lot more car to get that close to the same mileage. The Prius is a very good car, but I do like my Max better. My office is full of tech heads, we have several Toyota and Lexus hybrids, a pair of Chevy Volts, and a Hyundai hybrid. My C-Max is the first Ford hybrid in the group, but I do not think it will be that way long. Quite a few have taken a ride and even tried driving it. All the comparing of the cars has been very pleasant. The only semi bashing is about the guy who drives the 8 MPG dually quad cab truck, always alone, with just one small case for cargo. 

• 2 months later...

If I hadn't seen a C-Max commercial last October, I would most likely have ended up getting a Prius.  The hybrid concept has intrigued me for years, and I was finally ready to trade in my Vue.  But the idea of buying an American made hybrid led me to try the C-Max.  So glad I did.

Could you tell me what you liked / didn't like / liked better (C-max vs. Vue) about your Vue? I tested out one, and the ride seemed really stiff and not great mpg, like 25mpg, but otherwise nice.

I had a 2005 Saturn Vue Redline which was their sportier version of the Vue.  Mine had All Wheel Drive and I loved it.  But driving 40 miles or more a day was killing my pocket.  So started looking at Hybrids, first the Prius but they were to expensive and about the same for the Volt.  I wanted a nearly loaded car for under $40k, CMax was the only choice.

---A  Ford  C-Max.--- 

Basically she said she liked her "V". However, she said she would much rather support an American company and it would be good to be able to deal with the phenominal Ford dealer she has dealt with for years.

It was a truly great conversation. She told me she saw 42mpg in the winter and 46 to 48mpg in the summer. That is pretty much what is correct for the C-Max if driven in our area as well. We discussed the driving experience, technology, and other aspects of each car.

I have to say, I have nothing against the Prius (I like all 3 variations). In fact, I liked the wider layout of the V on the inside and I do not need a mile of headroom that my Max provides. That being said, I would never give up the fun, sporty aspect of the Max that none of the Prii can hope to match.

I just wanted to let you guys and gals know I have not found any competitive attitude between myself and Prius owners. I have had numerous conversations with Prius Liftback owners as well. They normally comment on how solid the C-Max doors and overall vehicle structure feel and how quick and great handling they are. I, then, comment on the higher MPG the Prius liftback is versus my Max.

It has always been a pleasure speaking with Prius owners.    :)

Matt

We have both! My wife drives our 2010 V hatchback and I drive the Max. No comparison in driveability, fun and more car like feel that the Max gives. Yes, her mpg's are about 10% better! but that's it!