Question on Charging C-max Energi

daytonarich

I have a 230 volt charger and get an email and text when charging is complete.  My charge indicator then shows anywhere from 16 to 22 miles of battery power and I have no idea why there is a mileage variation from charge to charge.  Is this normal?  Does anyone know why this is?

A better forum would be http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com. But to answer your question, the car indicates its estimate of the mileage based on previous driving and current energy use. Uphill runs and high speed can reduce your miles. Downhill runs can increase it due to regen. My guess would be that your variation is due to AC or heating use, however.

I agree with mipmapped.

If you use the EV switch on Energi to flip to EV Later, your left LCD will tell you the battery percentage available. That's the most accurate potential milage potential data you're going to get.

Using heater, defroster, or AC will surely reduce potential EV milage. There is an energy display that shows non-motor consumption as a horizontal bar -- it can get up to 5Kw.

The same thing happens with gas cars which have a display how many miles you've got left on your tank.  The gas gauge tells the computer how many gallons (or kWh) are left in the tank (or battery).  The computer multiplies the gallons in the tank times the miles per gallon you've been getting recently to figure how many miles you can go.  "Recently" is some secret formula averaging the last few miles/minutes you drove.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that mipmapped is on the right track.  But I have also noticed a definite pattern developing where the final charge on the battery depends on the remaining charge on the battery at the start of the charging cycle.  I will monitor this more closely.  Thank you all for your responses!