Got my first oil change

mikepowe11

• 2 months later...

Hi all got my C Max in Feb 2013, now have 10,000 miles on it got my first oil change at 5200 miles, but saw in owners Manuel to wait and change the oil at 10 ,000 miles. My question to the forums , do you think that is too long to change oil? After my PCM update I get 44 mpg. Another question is should I reset the lifetime summary after each fill up? Thanks

For almost everyone, Lifetime is just that: lifetime.  Don't reset it.  Only reset tank stats and trip stats.

Why not?  I have accidently reset my 3 times.  Does it really matter?  Once I have the upgrades for MFT and FE done in October, I probably will reset lifetime again.  Seems fiddly to just use the tank and trip stats. 

Thanks scuba dad for the info. I am old school and will continue changing the oil at around 5000 mike mark. Also what is MTF and FE updates. I thought I had all the updates done, I know they done an update to the sync and the power control module, but that is the only letters I have received so far from ford. What is this I been hearing about Ford sending us money , something like $550. Do I need to contact them or my dealer?

Cassidy this is the first hybrid I have ever owned , I think I could get better mileage too, but I used to drive a 2006 Chevy pickup. Do you get your oil change at 5000 miles too?I was always told oil changes were a lot cheaper than a new motor. I did have one wired problem with the A/ C it was cold but quit blowing , I went down to low and still the same, so I turned it off for awhile and when I turned it back on it worked. Brought the car to dealer they looked at it and could not find problem, they said might have been some glitch that fixed itself, but other than that it is a great car, but do miss my Chevy pickup, but not the gas mileage.

most new cars made in the last 5 years have 10,000 mile service intervals anyways. check your official service maintenance book. mine is 10k for my 2012 Passat. and yes the hybrid engines will run less often than a regular gas engine so it wouldn't hurt it to probably go 15k but go by what Ford  recommended. the days of 3k services are surely over (unless you want to be scammed by Jiffy Lube). most mfgs will do 5k as a min now.

Edited by salsaguy

The Cmax has an Oil Change Monitor that keeps track of miles and other stuff and will notify you when you need an oil change.  Keep in mind that if you drive 5,000 miles, the engine only ran about 3,000 of those miles.

The Monitor needs to be reset when the oil is changed.  My dealer didn't do that and the oil change notification came on about 2500 miles after they changed the oil.  If you change the oil or the dealer or whoever does it, make sure you reset the monitor.  Procedure is in the Owner's Manual.

The oil change interval will vary depending on driving conditions & driving habits. If you live in the country & drive a lot on gravel/dirt roads you'll be doing the oil change more frequently compared to living in the city.

On average, we're doing an oil change every 3 months (doesn't help that we have round trips averaging 120-130 miles 2-3 times a week).

My oil change light came on at 8900 miles.  I'm at 16,800 miles right now and assuming my driving is consistent I'd expect it to come on again around 18K miles.  Like others have said change the oil when the car tells you to.  After a few oil changes you'll get a good idea how many miles that is based on your driving.

Edited by dtorres