iphone & maps weirdness

I've got an iPhone 5 and when I use Google Maps, the directions play through the bluetooth. When I plug in the usb cord, same deal. In using Apple Maps, directed by Seri, the Seri dialogue plays through the bluetooth, but then the map directions play through the iPhone speaker. In google maps, every time a turn direction is given, the instruction is interpreted as an unknown call. After the direction  is spoken, the call is ended.

This is really weird behavior. Anyone else notice this or similar weirdness? Is there a better way to use my phone for navigation as I don't have the onboard Nav system?

Yes. Pull the voice paddle and say "Bluetooth Audio" or, if you have the cord plugged in, "USB." This assumes you also want your entertainment audio coming from the phone (eg the iphone's native Music app, Pandora, Spotify, NPR app etc.). Otherwise, you are forcing your phone to interrupt whatever other audio source you're using (radio? nothing? CD?) with each communication. Google Maps is smart enough to do that, but apparently Apple Maps isn't.

BTW, I think it's normal for the car to call such communications "unknown call." It does so when I use Siri. When the communication ends, it will briefly show "In Privacy" and then end the communication.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes. Pull the voice paddle and say "Bluetooth Audio" or, if you have the cord plugged in, "USB." This assumes you also want your entertainment audio coming from the phone (eg the iphone's native Music app, Pandora, Spotify, NPR app etc.). Otherwise, you are forcing your phone to interrupt whatever other audio source you're using (radio? nothing? CD?) with each communication. Google Maps is smart enough to do that, but apparently Apple Maps isn't.

BTW, I think it's normal for the car to call such communications "unknown call." It does so when I use Siri. When the communication ends, it will briefly show "In Privacy" and then end the communication.

Thank you, HotPotato! I was having the same issues and couldn't find "BT" option from either the entertainment or dashboard menus. I was having to start playing BT music from my phone before the BT option would even display on the screen, completely defeating the point of having controls from MFT. I will try the paddle and see if it starts automatically.