USB mode failures

I have the non-touchscreen stereo. I use it in USB mode with my iPhone, and I use the iPhone for everything: music, navigation, etc. So it is infuriating how frequently the stereo just flat-out fails to work in USB mode. Sometimes it can't finish indexing the songs, other times that's no problem. But often it simply won't play any sound at all while in USB mode: no music, no apps, nothing from the phone at all. Sometimes it starts working after a minute; usually it doesn't. I tell it "Play" and it tells me that command is not available. I try various combinations of cycling the source, power cycling the car/phone/stereo, cycling the iphone from Sync to Dock Connector mode etc., and eventually it works -- but i have no idea why. Good thing I'm not trying to impress anyone by showing off the infotainment system.

Any idea why this happens? What can I do? Maybe the system hangs due to too many songs or contacts or something?

• 11 months later...

I'm gonna bump my own old thread to see if anyone bites this time... Am I the only SE owner for whom the aux input sources on the radio are a completely unreliable nightmare?

Example: I'll try to use the steering wheel buttons to skip a song when my iPhone is playing thru USB. Sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't work and moves me through a Sync menu instead.

Example: even though the song is playing on the Music app on the phone, no sound comes through the speakers. I pull the voice paddle and say "Play," and the Sync lady says "Current selection is not playable".

Example: when put in either USB or Bluetooth Audio mode, the stereo either does not play, or plays fine for maybe 40 min and then all the sudden isn't playing ... which sucks when the only reason the system is on, is to amplify the turn by turn voice prompts from my phone's Nav app, and I don't realize the stereo stopped listening for and playing the prompts until I have missed several turns.

Is mine defective, or all they all this awful? Is there a chance Ford can replace something, or I can change some setting, to make it simply function as designed?

Hi HotPotato,

Which iPhone do you have, and what iOS are you running on it? Since you mention having a lot of contacts in your phonebook, I'd also like you to turn off Automatic Phonebook Download. Here are the instructions to turn it on:

http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/automatically-download-your-phonebook-sync

When you get to the end, change it to OFF. :)  Let me know if that helps.

Rebecca

Hi HotPotato,

Which iPhone do you have, and what iOS are you running on it? Since you mention having a lot of contacts in your phonebook, I'd also like you to turn off Automatic Phonebook Download. Here are the instructions to turn it on:

http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/automatically-download-your-phonebook-sync

When you get to the end, change it to OFF. :)  Let me know if that helps.

Rebecca

Thanks, Rebecca. It's an iPhone 5S, iOS just updated to version 7.1.1.

FWIW, Sync acted the same with my previous iPhone 4S and the previous versions of iOS.

AFAIK, Phonebook download has not been enabled for some time (I can't dial anyone through Sync, only though Siri).

I have found a couple of things that may be helpful to others tho:

1. If I plug the phone in BEFORE starting the car, sometimes Sync will recognize that pressing the AUX button means I want USB, instead of always defaulting to Line In. (Shouldn't we be able to change what AUX defaults to, somewhere? I have never once wanted it to be Line In, so this is a pretty annoying default.)

2. If I wait to play anything until AFTER Bluetooth has connected, regardless of whether I'm playing over USB or Bluetooth Audio, this also seems to reduce problems.