2 phone/SYNC related questions...

Got my C-MAX back today YAY! So far I have SYNCed the phone but not uploaded the phone book. I thought you could voice dial with SYNC by speaking a number....no?

Also, has anyone uploaded contacts by Bluetooth ? I tried but none transferred. If I can't dial by # then if I can upload a few frequently dialed #s that would help.

Hi Adair, glad you got jelly bean back.

I have uploaded my phone book there is some switch in the phone settings screen that allows this, and transfer will take some time. Also when your phone book loads you can say " Call Home" ( Home being the name of a contact) If you want to dial a number you say " Dial 618-555-5555"

I hope this helps!

I have not uploaded phonebook yet Frbill. We are still trying to make the problem happen at a time when the dealership can hook it up to the computers to analyze. So for now it's only the phone SYNCed, no phone book. I tried to dial by # XXX-XXX-XXXX, but it wouldn't take it. And the earbud/ phone won't work on it's own as long as SYNC is in charge. Still trying to figure out a work-around while we get the problem solved. I refuse to hold the phone to my ear!!!

Maybe I have to have the contact with the phone # uploaded first?

It's my understanding that you can say "phone", then "dial", then "123 456 7890" for example.  I believe you must wait for Sync to prompt you at each step (all though there's supposed to be an optional shortcut scheme).

Adair, I have never tried to "speak" a phone number, so I can't help with that. But I did upload my phonebook via bluetooth (iphone 4s), and in another thread, someone suggested turning off "auto download" after the first load. I had a lot of tics and pops, and a looooooooong wait to use the phone while MFT checked for new entries. Turning off that setting did seem to help. I still can't figure out how to create a "favorite" shortcut in the phone book-- there's an option to "star" a number, but I can't seem to figure out how to do that. Anyone?

Bill-N, I tried that, but with no phonebook uploaded. It kept telling me to say a name, but wouldn't dial just from the number spoken. 

I just tried it, and it worked for me.

1. I pulled the paddle, Sync said, "Please say a command."
  2. I said, "phone."  Sync said, "Phone; say a command."
  3. I said, "dial."  Sync said, "Start saying a phone number."
  4. I said, "1234567890".  Sync said, "123456789o. Say dial, delete, or continue speaking the digits."
  5. I said, "dial."  Sync said, "Dialing."
  6. And the number was dialed.

NB: I think my phone is pretty smart, but most would not agree.  Also, this is with MFT 3.5.1.

Edited by Bill-N

I just tried it, and it worked for me.

1. I pulled the paddle, Sync said, "Please say a command."
  2. I said, "phone."  Sync said, "Phone; say a command."
  3. I said, "dial."  Sync said, "Start saying a phone number."
  4. I said, "1234567890".  Sync said, "123456789o. Say dial, delete, or continue speaking the digits."
  5. I said, "dial."  Sync said, "Dialing."
  6. And the number was dialed.

NB: I think my phone is pretty smart, but most would not agree.  Also, this is with MFT 3.5.1.

But is that with a phonebook uploaded?

I tried steps 1 and 2, but when I said  Dial, it said Please say a name......then when I said the # it wouldn't go anywhere after that.

Anyway, it doesn't matter now. I baked the car in the sun for 5 hours,  then went out to run some errands. First start up......ok, 2nd start up.......ok everything worked. Third start up, no phone, no radio, no dials, paddles or buttons worked, altho everythiing showed functioning on the screen. Called the dealership but it was too late to take it in. I did a master reset and removed SYNC from the phone. I'll drive like that for a while, using bluetooth to dial voicedial from the phone. If it doesn't happen again for a while....days.....weeks.....who knows..... then we will assume it's a phone issue and I'll duke it out with Verizon to get a different phone to try. AAAAARRRGHHHH!!!

But, on the plus side, it sure is nice to have my nice, quiet, fuel effecient C-MAX back!

Bill, thanks for posting that. You sure are patient! I have been known to have a row with Siri- I swear at her and everything when she fails to get it right (which is always, in my case!)

I am experiencing the same flakiness with voice commands, paddles and most everything mft related after 3.5.1. I'm planning a road trip later this week and I sure hope I don't get stopped for screaming at my car!

Bill, thanks for posting that. You sure are patient! I have been known to have a row with Siri- I swear at her and everything when she fails to get it right (which is always, in my case!)

I am experiencing the same flakiness with voice commands, paddles and most everything mft related after 3.5.1. I'm planning a road trip later this week and I sure hope I don't get stopped for screaming at my car!

To be very clear, I do not have an iPhone.  As I said, many wouldn't even call it a smart phone.

But is that with a phonebook uploaded?

I tried steps 1 and 2, but when I said  Dial, it said Please say a name......then when I said the # it wouldn't go anywhere after that.

Anyway, it doesn't matter now. I baked the car in the sun for 5 hours,  then went out to run some errands. First start up......ok, 2nd start up.......ok everything worked. Third start up, no phone, no radio, no dials, paddles or buttons worked, altho everythiing showed functioning on the screen. Called the dealership but it was too late to take it in. I did a master reset and removed SYNC from the phone. I'll drive like that for a while, using bluetooth to dial voicedial from the phone. If it doesn't happen again for a while....days.....weeks.....who knows..... then we will assume it's a phone issue and I'll duke it out with Verizon to get a different phone to try. AAAAARRRGHHHH!!!

But, on the plus side, it sure is nice to have my nice, quiet, fuel effecient C-MAX back!

Yes, I do have a phone book loaded, all 50 entries   :) .  Including the special Verizon ones (#BAL, etc.).  Also, FYI, I have some entries with single-quote and period in them.  No problem loading them.

I have a question that may belong here.  How are the phone books handled when more than one phone is paired?  Does one supplant the other?  Are they merged?

Also, (since this is the 2 questions thread), when the non-primary phone rings, should I be able to answer that call via SYNC?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I have a question that may belong here.  How are the phone books handled when more than one phone is paired?  Does one supplant the other?  Are they merged?

Also, (since this is the 2 questions thread), when the non-primary phone rings, should I be able to answer that call via SYNC?

Inquiring minds want to know.

According to the doc for MFT you can pair multiple phones, but only one is active at a time

When you pair a second phone, what do you do to change which phone is the active one?

Use the MFT screens to disconnect one and connect the other.  PITA, IMO.  My BlueAnt hands free device will accept incoming calls from either device.  Sorry, but I don't know how it's done in a non-MFT environment.